Phoenix Android Generation 5 Now released

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only major difference is

1024x768 last generation

1920 x 1080 new generation.

for the better screen... you lose AC control which is definitely a drawback for me too.

I’ll stick with what I have too.

meh not enough to swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pretty much feeling the same way. I do like that the top hard buttons are back where they belong, facing front instead of facing up where you can't see them, but not at the cost of losing the AC controls. I never use the touch screen for AC controls, so I'm not sure I'll be ok with that. I do miss the volume knob, but have the steering wheel as an option. Nothing like that for AC.

I don't think the extra inch of screen is a significant improvement, unless it somehow fixes image display issues I've seen with Amazon music...and I doubt that. What sort of resolution improvement is there? @Guy, are you getting an upgrade yourself?

Any chance they have an improve cable for Sync? That's my biggest problem now, but I imagine there is no improvement here.

Also would want to know if Sergey's firmware is compatible with this. I would think so.

It's likely a significant improvement over what I have now, but I think I want to see more before I would consider swapping. As well, I would bet the price drops a bit in the next few months.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's the thing, I don't need a physically larger screen than the 12.1 - give me 4x the resolution in it though. so instead of 1024x768 give me 4096x3072
:p

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right I’d like to have what I have now with a higher def screen. That’s what I’d buy.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Resolution is nice, but I'd be tempted if they came out with current android version and significantly better processing power. Perhaps some sort of sleep mode, run off local battery so that it doesn't reboot so frequently. Add all the features Sergey is doing, and use better cables, etc.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tablet has no influence over sync 3. If you were seeing a strange sync 3 state, the problem was with sync 3.

The only thing the tablet does is pass the information from the sync module through to the user, like a touch screen monitor.

If I had to guess, you needed to turn your truck off, open the door to power down sync 3 and then restart it. This wouldn’t be a tablet problem though. This is a sync 3 problem.

the tablet itself, if it were to overheat, would simply freeze or reboot itself. You wouldn’t get specific error messages from sync.

Some folks have used a small 12 volt fan inside the dash. I saw one neatly mounted in placed of the center speaker. I’ve seen one mounted in front of the center speaker.
I’ve not had to run one in 98 plus degrees in the middle of the summer. I’m on my 3rd unit. I must just be lucky that way.
I guess I was just pointing out that the manual controls could still function but the tablet based ones were not working. Sounds OR AC/Heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just love the way you don’t play around.

you see it, you want it, you got it.

You lose the physical HVAC controls though. So just decide in advance if you don’t mind giving up the Knobs and buttons at the bottom. I am not sure I want to lose them yet.

thx for sharing I will drive over there and have them put new one in my truck.

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lucky they 30mins from my house so i let the lead tech install it so no issues

i always have mine on auto temp and just adj it 69 to 73 range since socal temps same year round more or less

having a tesla last 5 years it has zero knobs all screen so used to it

I just love the way you don’t play around.

you see it, you want it, you got it.

You lose the physical HVAC controls though. So just decide in advance if you don’t mind giving up the Knobs and buttons at the bottom. I am not sure I want to lose them yet.

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just noticed all the buttons at top of screen are back they moved them up above which i did not like so nice to see them back to factory location