Phoenix Android Generation 5 Now released

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

My initial experience with Phoenix unit didn't go to well. Too many bugs, freezing, and lots of random issues that make no sense.

My last straw was when it was 100*F outside, and unit would freeze in the middle of 5 lines freeway, completely going black and turning off AC. Had to pull over to reset the unit, it was quite embarrassing to do that in front of clients who were commuting with me at that time.

I ended up switching to Linkswell (Android 8.1), so far so good. No issues, no freezing and their support guys are pretty knowledgeable about their products.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had any of those issues with the px6 but they did exist on the original px3 units.

linkswell is made in the same Shenzhen factory as Phoenix and all the rest. They just rebrand them and adjust the GUI to their preferences and then resell them.

The hardware is no better. The support should be much better though.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

My initial experience with Phoenix unit didn't go to well. Too many bugs, freezing, and lots of random issues that make no sense.

My last straw was when it was 100*F outside, and unit would freeze in the middle of 5 lines freeway, completely going black and turning off AC. Had to pull over to reset the unit, it was quite embarrassing to do that in front of clients who were commuting with me at that time.

I ended up switching to Linkswell (Android 9.1), so far so good. No issues, no freezing and their support guys are pretty knowledgeable about their products.
Crazy enough this is exactly what happen to me this weekend but I was driving through a blizzard in Colorado. When the unit came back Sync 3 was stuck in a super weird state that said audio/media is not available. O couldn’t navigate anything Sync3 via the tablet and Sync 3 kept showing the media not available prompt over and over again.

The px6 screen was hot to the touch but my heater/defrost worked. Seeing that the gen5 tablet removes the manual AC/heat controls makes it much more dangerous should it malfunction on you in the middle of nowhere [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tablet has no influence over sync 3. If you were seeing a strange sync 3 state, the problem was with sync 3.

The only thing the tablet does is pass the information from the sync module through to the user, like a touch screen monitor.

If I had to guess, you needed to turn your truck off, open the door to power down sync 3 and then restart it. This wouldn’t be a tablet problem though. This is a sync 3 problem.

the tablet itself, if it were to overheat, would simply freeze or reboot itself. You wouldn’t get specific error messages from sync.

Some folks have used a small 12 volt fan inside the dash. I saw one neatly mounted in placed of the center speaker. I’ve seen one mounted in front of the center speaker.
I’ve not had to run one in 98 plus degrees in the middle of the summer. I’m on my 3rd unit. I must just be lucky that way.

Crazy enough this is exactly what happen to me this weekend but I was driving through a blizzard in Colorado. When the unit came back Sync 3 was stuck in a super weird state that said audio/media is not available. O couldn’t navigate anything Sync3 via the tablet and Sync 3 kept showing the media not available prompt over and over again.

The px6 screen was hot to the touch but my heater/defrost worked. Seeing that the gen5 tablet removes the manual AC/heat controls makes it much more dangerous should it malfunction on you in the middle of nowhere [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
meh not enough to swap.

Pretty much feeling the same way. I do like that the top hard buttons are back where they belong, facing front instead of facing up where you can't see them, but not at the cost of losing the AC controls. I never use the touch screen for AC controls, so I'm not sure I'll be ok with that. I do miss the volume knob, but have the steering wheel as an option. Nothing like that for AC.

I don't think the extra inch of screen is a significant improvement, unless it somehow fixes image display issues I've seen with Amazon music...and I doubt that. What sort of resolution improvement is there? @Guy, are you getting an upgrade yourself?

Any chance they have an improve cable for Sync? That's my biggest problem now, but I imagine there is no improvement here.

Also would want to know if Sergey's firmware is compatible with this. I would think so.

It's likely a significant improvement over what I have now, but I think I want to see more before I would consider swapping. As well, I would bet the price drops a bit in the next few months.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shit I didn't even notice the hard AC controls are gone with this unit. That's a hard no for me. Also, I finally have my unit dialed in and working perfectly for me.