Personal Locator Beacon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did any of you think about the ACR ResQ device? If you look at the reviews of the devices you would see more about it, what's your opinion on it versus the spot?

I have the bouyant ACR ResQ PLB. No complaints, but I've never had to use it either.

SPOT can be useful for family to track where you are, and where you have been, but there are somewhat mixed reviews that sometimes it doesn't get signal as well. However it should be fine for most purposes, especially in the continental U.S. Also nice to be able to send "I'm ok" updates.

I ended up getting the ACR because I didn't want a subscription service, and I liked the fact that it would send the satellite distress with GPS location, followed by a continuous radio homing beacon. I figured I'm usually not out of cell service for more than a couple days, so it was more important for me to have an easy "oh crap" button with a one-time cost.

korbendallas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry a ACR SARlink in my flight bag. I think they cost around $350. No messaging, but no subscription fees either. Most other pilots I know are carrying a PLB in case of a survivable emergency landing.

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was out in Moab and Canyon lands last summer and rented a Cerberus for the trip. Allows you via SAT to text message anywhere, has emergency SOS function and allows you to communicate with rescue. On the white rim trail I was able to text with friends and family, and use GPS tracking on the device so they could see where I was . Also gave emergency alerts like flash floods etc.

The problem is not buying the devices, it is the service plans that get you.
Just another option

Cerberus - Global Connectivity for your Smartphone

OP
OP
sonoma

sonoma

Dispatch
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I was out in Moab and Canyon lands last summer and rented a Cerberus for the trip. Allows you via SAT to text message anywhere, has emergency SOS function and allows you to communicate with rescue. On the white rim trail I was able to text with friends and family, and use GPS tracking on the device so they could see where I was . Also gave emergency alerts like flash floods etc.

The problem is not buying the devices, it is the service plans that get you.
Just another option

Cerberus - Global Connectivity for your Smartphone

Did not know that- looks even better.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use an ACR ResQLink. I do quite a bit of flying and spend a fair amount of time out in potentially bad places so I don't need anything but an oh shit I really need help button. The ACR pushes more power than the other small handhelds but It's small enough to throw in a pocket making it the most reliable in getting a signal out for help.

The following and messaging features of the SPOT are cool but if your life depends on a PLB I'd go with a top performer.

I'm in serious envy of the Breitling Emergency 2 posted above. I wanted one badly but can't justify the purchase of a watch for this function. I usually wear a Garmin Tactix or a Citizen when I fly since they are functional and basically disposable. The combined cost of a functional watch and PLB is still under $1K, which is way less than the Brietling. All that said, one of these days I'll end up dropping the coin on the Emergency. It's a very Raptor like purchase though, no justifying except to yourself is needed.

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score