Performance Tune with Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirby Lastinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is the valve guides- they still make the engine & it’s still an issue (unsure if it is still an issue buying the LS7 as a turn key crate motor vs. a factory vehicle that came w/ it) you don’t need trans/bearings/diffs or axles if you engine blows up. You just need an engine.

not sure if you can actually buy the HO 3.5 yet, but a regular turn key 3.5 can be found for $7500ish w/ very little effort on my part - see attached.

I was just talking hyperbole tho in general I do not think a tune is going to blow a motor on these raptors nor do I think the majority of people running tunes will have issues getting stuff fixed under warranty- but to each their own. I just figured the tuning packages offered through dealers would be way more $$$ & may or may not really guarantee warranty preservation.

To the poster w/ the blown 5.0- motor was probably similar price range as the 3.5 EB + labor &
Misc parts for install $12k does make sense. I’ve considered motor swap on my C5Z - still undecided lol.

I’d take a mustang GT w/ a 3.5 EB HO over a 5.0 V8 any day. That would maybe sway me to the mustang crowd actually lol.

On the other hand if my Raptor truly had the engine “blow up” - like rod through block not turbo failure - out of warranty if I rest of truck was lower in miles & I had a lot of mods to it (especially suspension) - well then you’d probably see me posting the first ever LS/LTx swap build on a Raptor lol!

View attachment 136595
This is not the Raptor motor though. Only the standard engine. I wonder what more is done to get 450 HP out of it, and what the additional cost would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is not the Raptor motor though. Only the standard engine. I wonder what more is done to get 450 HP out of it, and what the additional cost would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

slightly bigger turbos (bigger than regular 3.5EB smaller than the GTs), different/more aggressive cam profile, forged crank/connecting rods,

less certain- different intake I think & different TB

has been discussed previous but fords oddly tight lipped addressing exactly what all the differences are in one condensed list

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it is the valve guides- they still make the engine & it’s still an issue (unsure if it is still an issue buying the LS7 as a turn key crate motor vs. a factory vehicle that came w/ it) you don’t need trans/bearings/diffs or axles if you engine blows up. You just need an engine.

not sure if you can actually buy the HO 3.5 yet, but a regular turn key 3.5 can be found for $7500ish w/ very little effort on my part - see attached.

I was just talking hyperbole tho in general I do not think a tune is going to blow a motor on these raptors nor do I think the majority of people running tunes will have issues getting stuff fixed under warranty- but to each their own. I just figured the tuning packages offered through dealers would be way more $$$ & may or may not really guarantee warranty preservation.

To the poster w/ the blown 5.0- motor was probably similar price range as the 3.5 EB + labor &
Misc parts for install $12k does make sense. I’ve considered motor swap on my C5Z - still undecided lol.

I’d take a mustang GT w/ a 3.5 EB HO over a 5.0 V8 any day. That would maybe sway me to the mustang crowd actually lol.

On the other hand if my Raptor truly had the engine “blow up” - like rod through block not turbo failure - out of warranty if I rest of truck was lower in miles & I had a lot of mods to it (especially suspension) - well then you’d probably see me posting the first ever LS/LTx swap build on a Raptor lol!

View attachment 136595

The crate engine posted is actually a Gen I 3.5 Ecoboost, which is a completely different engine from a Gen II. The Gen II debuted in the 2017 Ford GT, F-150, and Raptor. The standard version is 375HP and 470 lb/ft of torque as opposed to the Gen 1 which had 365HP and 420 lb/ft of torque in longitudinal applications.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly, same as a tune , they in theory have to prove a tune caused the problem. The can tell a eco has been flashed , they can see a tune once removed. But if you come in with a problem and they see cai , exhaust , IC etc they will be all excited right off the bat. Come in stock looking , no tune to see and the chances of them looking are less. That’s all I’m saying. Do what you want. As will I.

This is a common misconception. In the event of a catastrophic failure (rod through the block, cracked piston, etc.) the manufacturer does not need to prove that the tune was the root cause. Manufacturers spend millions of dollars developing factory calibrations to keep the engine alive under every condition imaginable...once the end user changes that calibration, all bets are off. They have no idea whats been changed, and it's not their obligation to find out. This is no different than when you buy an electronic device and break the anti-tamper seal; you no longer have a warranty on said product.

In regards to dealers, it's often not their decision. When an engine fails in a manner consistent with modifications or abuse, a field rep is often dispatched. Said field rep will perform a full inspection of the vehicle (right down to witness marks on bolts) and connect their scan tool to pull all data. If they find that the engine has been tuned, not only is the engine warranty void, but so is the rest of the powertrain (transmission/rear axle). The manufacturer can only warranty what they engineer and build; once you go rogue, the collateral damage is on you.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So let alone that engine being a Gen1 3.5EB, the Gen2 HO F-150 version I am sure will cost a lot more. I wonder if it’s even available in crate form at this point.

@FordTechOne My question is related to the Roush Performance Packs and specifically the tune offered. While it a lot of it was nicely explained by a vendor here, I still have some questions if you are knowledgeable on it.

Is there any partnership with Roush and Ford Performance developing the tune? Does Ford look at the Roush tune just as they do any other brands? Or based on it having to be installed by a dealer it’s looked at as an add on factory upgrade?

Now I know Roush provides a 3-36k warranty with it, but at time of the install the clock and mileage starts ticking based on this included warranty and your factory warranty is dropped? Or will you have to rely on the Roush warranty if Ford says the tune is at fault?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So let alone that engine being a Gen1 3.5EB, the Gen2 HO F-150 version I am sure will cost a lot more. I wonder if it’s even available in crate form at this point.

I haven’t seen it through Ford Performance. However, I have not checked the vendor sites to see what they offer, if anything.

@FordTechOne My question is related to the Roush Performance Packs and specifically the tune offered. While it a lot of it was nicely explained by a vendor here, I still have some questions if you are knowledgeable on it.

Is there any partnership with Roush and Ford Performance developing the tune? Does Ford look at the Roush tune just as they do any other brands? Or based on it having to be installed by a dealer it’s looked at as an add on factory upgrade?

Ford views Roush tunes just as they do any other aftermarket tune. The only difference is that Ford Corporate will inform the dealer to contact Roush directly with all modification associated warranty issues. From my experience, Ford Performance and Roush are completely separate entities. Ford Performance parts carry their own warranty coverage, which does not involve Roush. Even if the dealer installs the modification, the warranty still goes through Roush, not Ford.

Now I know Roush provides a 3-36k warranty with it, but at time of the install the clock and mileage starts ticking based on this included warranty and your factory warranty is dropped? Or will you have to rely on the Roush warranty if Ford says the tune is at fault?

The Factory warranty remains intact in order to provide coverage on any non-modification related issues. So for example if your only mod was a Roush tune and your water pump developed a leak from the weep hole, that would be covered under Ford 5/60k powertrain warranty.

In the event of a failure that can be attributed or correlated to the tune, such as a melted piston, the dealer would need to contact Roush for warranty coverage. If the failure occurs outside of the Roush 3/36 warranty, the cost of the repair is on the customer.

Fshnrig

Reaction score
Has anyone received a quoted install price from the their local dealer on the Roush CAI/tune? I've been waiting for one...going on 2 weeks.

Thanks.

I just talked to my local dealer about this (in western WA). $1490 installed. They quoted me 3 hours for install at $185 an hour. Seems high to me.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
$185.00 an hour? Is this there going labor rate or accessory labor price? Is this just for the air intake and tune or the pack 3 with exhaust? I heard Roush was ok with the owner self installing the intake and just making sure the dealer loads the tune to qualify for the warranty.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven’t seen it through Ford Performance. However, I have not checked the vendor sites to see what they offer, if anything.

Ford views Roush tunes just as they do any other aftermarket tune. The only difference is that Ford Corporate will inform the dealer to contact Roush directly with all modification associated warranty issues. From my experience, Ford Performance and Roush are completely separate entities. Ford Performance parts carry their own warranty coverage, which does not involve Roush. Even if the dealer installs the modification, the warranty still goes through Roush, not Ford.

The Factory warranty remains intact in order to provide coverage on any non-modification related issues. So for example if your only mod was a Roush tune and your water pump developed a leak from the weep hole, that would be covered under Ford 5/60k powertrain warranty.

In the event of a failure that can be attributed or correlated to the tune, such as a melted piston, the dealer would need to contact Roush for warranty coverage. If the failure occurs outside of the Roush 3/36 warranty, the cost of the repair is on the customer.

Thank you for the response. But how can Roush offer a warranty and the other tuners not? Just because Roush is a much much larger company I take it and have carb certification to sell it nationwide?

Based on The Roush tune specs, it does look to come in lower than other brands. But can I guess they don’t want to push it and have possible failures they have to cover? Or there tune has to meet emissions? Then again I am sure they want to make the power they say there tune will do if someone dynos there truck and it doesn’t meet that. Roush has more at stake then smaller outfits I’m sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts