Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Performance Tune with Warranty

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by John Rathjen, Jan 8, 2020.

1. K223

K223 Full Access Member

Well interesting enough.

2. dirtyboot

dirtyboot Member

The problem with this idea is the data ie:mileage won't match up when you swap in the old/oem ecm. As evident with FCA and the viper community, where engine failures were commonplace knowledge to happen without the tune, there wound up being a lawsuit against them that eventually led to those who'd swapped out their ecm getting approved for engine replacements. Even since then, it's been hit or [mainly] miss with getting approval for warranty work, because when they swap the ecm the mileage that the car reports differs from the ecm, and dealerships don't want to get involved so they'll flag vehicles with anything beyond a bolt-on mod.

In order to get the data to line up, you'll have to reflash the oem unit, which goes back to the timestamp/flash issue to begin with.

3. JPat

JPat Member

I you blow a Raptor motor, it is going to cost more than $7k to repair at a shop. I had a 12' mustang GT that needed a long block replacement under warranty at 1200miles and that run of the mill 5.0L was a total job cost of over $12k.

4. VegasG17

VegasG17 Member

Not trying to bust balls. What if its set back to stock and the battery is disconnected for 24 hours? Will the internal memory hold?

5. Oldfart

Oldfart Full Access Member

In your estimate you are leaving out the rest of the drive-line components that can also fail and not have warranty. Trans, hubs, diff's, transfer cases, axles, etc. There's also no way a new engine is only $7,000. I've never seen a higher performance replacement engine for any manufacturer not be way more than double that. I could see maybe a bare block for $7,000.

For instance a few years ago when Corvette Z06's were dropping valves, to have a dealer put in a new engine was in the 21-23 range.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  6. goblues38

goblues38 FRF Addict

the CMOS writes to the logs can not be erased. so no. battery disconnect will not hide the evidence.

7. VegasG17

VegasG17 Member

Thanks man.

8. Badgertits

Badgertits Full Access Member

it is the valve guides- they still make the engine & it’s still an issue (unsure if it is still an issue buying the LS7 as a turn key crate motor vs. a factory vehicle that came w/ it) you don’t need trans/bearings/diffs or axles if you engine blows up. You just need an engine.

not sure if you can actually buy the HO 3.5 yet, but a regular turn key 3.5 can be found for $7500ish w/ very little effort on my part - see attached.

I was just talking hyperbole tho in general I do not think a tune is going to blow a motor on these raptors nor do I think the majority of people running tunes will have issues getting stuff fixed under warranty- but to each their own. I just figured the tuning packages offered through dealers would be way more $$$ & may or may not really guarantee warranty preservation.

To the poster w/ the blown 5.0- motor was probably similar price range as the 3.5 EB + labor &
    Misc parts for install $12k does make sense. I’ve considered motor swap on my C5Z - still undecided lol.

I’d take a mustang GT w/ a 3.5 EB HO over a 5.0 V8 any day. That would maybe sway me to the mustang crowd actually lol.

On the other hand if my Raptor truly had the engine “blow up” - like rod through block not turbo failure - out of warranty if I rest of truck was lower in miles & I had a lot of mods to it (especially suspension) - well then you’d probably see me posting the first ever LS/LTx swap build on a Raptor lol!

6CB2299C-E914-44D3-90B7-A029B9086E78.jpeg

9. K223

K223 Full Access Member

Interesting. I do wonder if they sell a crate HO version. What about the GT version? I would also have to believe these Ford Performance HO engines would cost a lot more than a standard 3.5EB. Interesting though.

10. Oldfart

Oldfart Full Access Member

I stand corrected, that is dirt cheap for a crate motor!