Performance Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've put 100+ Motorcraft filters on a dozen or so Fords I've owned, and never had a single problem with the filters or the engines that had anything to do with oiling. Spending more on fancy filters is a waste of money. Put the extra "filter money" towards changing it more often, especially with turbos in the mix, and you'll be way ahead as far as clean oil goes.

Best bang for the buck for a better filter if you want to go elsewhere though is the Fram Ultra Synthetic filters (XG in the part #). Heavy steel case & drainback, silicone, syntheitic media- all the good stuff. Cue the "Fram is junk" comments from people who are talking out of their ass and have never seen one cut open.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've put 100+ Motorcraft filters on a dozen or so Fords I've owned, and never had a single problem with the filters or the engines that had anything to do with oiling. Spending more on fancy filters is a waste of money. Put the extra "filter money" towards changing it more often, especially with turbos in the mix, and you'll be way ahead as far as clean oil goes.

Best bang for the buck for a better filter if you want to go elsewhere though is the Fram Ultra Synthetic filters (XG in the part #). Heavy steel case & drainback, silicone, syntheitic media- all the good stuff. Cue the "Fram is junk" comments from people who are talking out of their ass and have never seen one cut open.
Great advise.

OP
OP
enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Reaction score

FRAM Ultra filters are excellent. Used them many times. Seen plenty cut open. Very robust.

TXAG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would echo some of what has already been said. For these specific motors, it's most important to change the oil at closer intervals. Plenty of motors can go 10k plus mile OCI's easily, and the oil analysis shows it. The 3.5 boost shears oil, and is terribly hard on it. If you are looking at the smartest thing to do with your money, use motorcraft filters and any cheap full synthetic oil at 5-6k mile intervals. If money is not part of the equation for you, use amsoil and a fancy filter at 5-6k mile intervals.

OP
OP
enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Reaction score
I would echo some of what has already been said. For these specific motors, it's most important to change the oil at closer intervals. Plenty of motors can go 10k plus mile OCI's easily, and the oil analysis shows it. The 3.5 boost shears oil, and is terribly hard on it. If you are looking at the smartest thing to do with your money, use motorcraft filters and any cheap full synthetic oil at 5-6k mile intervals. If money is not part of the equation for you, use amsoil and a fancy filter at 5-6k mile intervals.
Good to know. I currently use Motorcraft Full Synthetic, and the Motorcraft filters.

ekalb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked at a few sites for the Ford Racing filter (part# CM-6731-FL820) and none of them show compatibility with a gen 3 Raptor.

Any links to Ford sites or others showing that's the correct filter?

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FL-820 is the same filter my Mustang takes with the Boss block. If I can find it I’ll be using the Ford Racing filter on that and the Raptor.

Good thread.