Perch Mod Discussion

Mid perch or no?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completed a rebuild of my front drivers side shock today and tried to set it to mid perch. I tried once before as well during installation og R1 brakes with the same result as today. Sprayed with blaster 5 days prior to start and sprayed again yesterday. Spent 2 hour smacking the crap out of that collar with a sledge and 2x4. No joy. Finished the rebuild and reinstalled. Man that thing is just plain seized. Sucks because this was the perfect time to move it up. Maybe when I get around to buying a spare set I will be able to put it on the bench and just work on it over time. For now collar 2 me 0.

Tango_9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Ohio, shocks are corroded (2012), wanted mid-perch, took them to local guy I trust, he gave up getting the ring to move, he was afraid of damaging the shock. I had sprayed several times before going to him also. I bought a spare set of fronts from a member here already set to mid. I will keep this set protected from the corrosion.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Ohio, shocks are corroded (2012), wanted mid-perch, took them to local guy I trust, he gave up getting the ring to move, he was afraid of damaging the shock. I had sprayed several times before going to him also. I bought a spare set of fronts from a member here already set to mid. I will keep this set protected from the corrosion.

Also in ohio. Toledo area. Where in Ohio are you if you don't mind my asking? We've been up to silverlake michigan, down to TRR, and want to get to some of the more local events. Do you ever attend events?

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boeshield T9 is great for protecting the new ones in the NE climate.

When I did mid perch on my '11 after a few winters already on them the only way I could get the perches to move was soaking in Kroil then hit all around with a block of wood and a 4lb engineers hammer. I think they moved about 1/32 of an inch at a time and it took hours.

Tango_9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also in ohio. Toledo area. Where in Ohio are you if you don't mind my asking? We've been up to silverlake michigan, down to TRR, and want to get to some of the more local events. Do you ever attend events?

mmaterni, I'm 50 east, southeast of Columbus, I have never been to an event but would like to at some time soon.

Trplezero

Reaction score
What size is the allen key on the front shocks? 3/32 almost fits but I watched the RPG video they say a 8/32 good luck finding that... TIA. Trying to do mid perch myself... Seems like the collar is froze up.

Last edited:

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided to build a press from steel I have laying around and a bottle jack. Will post pics after its done. I WILL get that bitch to move!

Brazerusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The set screw was a common size - 3/32" sounds right... When I did mine the collars needed a lot of convincing to move. 2x4 blocks and a big hammer did the job...

kevin85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do anyone know how much higher does the mid perch raise the highest point of the truck? I did some search, some say the front rise about 1.5". The parking structure at my work has a height limit of 6'8", my raptor in stock height looks pretty close to the bar with maybe an inch or two clearance.

Last edited: