Peeling paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone.

I've had my 2018 white raptor for about 1.2 years now. I just made 10k miles. Around 6k miles ,the paint on the headlight surround ,the passenger side mirror, and the tailgate handle began to peel. The spots are small but noticeable, the largest about 1 inch by 1/8 inch. I took it to Big Star Ford in Pearland and had the warranty rep and the body shop manager take a look. At first, Ford denied any liability saying it was impact damage. The body shop manager took a closer look with a magnifying glass and said it may be impact damage but the surrounding paint should not have behaved that way. He stated he has seen this before and said it happens when the paint won/t stick to the plastic parts. I filed a second claim and Ford has again denied it. Have any of you had this problem with the paint or a denied claim?
I complained to ford about how easily the paint chips but they don't care it's a tough truck but the paint is whimpy. I put a clear bra on the front end and the front of mirrors not too expensive and that's where you get most chips.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation with paint cracking on the right front fender where it meets the hood. Ford denied the warranty claim within a couple hours after the dealers body shop submitted the photos and just replied it was from an impact without giving further details. Other than the 5 small cracks the paint is flawless surrounding the area in question and they all start at the same point along the fender edge and are cracking outward.

In the pics the white spot above was a water spot, I wiped it off and the spots below the cracks are just rough edges, they are black and not rock chips. There are no rock chips around the cracks so if these are caused by an impact then the impact left no other marks. You can see/feel along the edge where the cracks are starting that there are rough spots like debris or something under the paint.

In my life I've impacted rocks, dirt, sand, gravel, ice, birds, deer, and just random crap and they all left paint chips, I have never had any impact crack the paint!

Truck was manufactured 11/2018, purchased 02/2019, and noticed the cracks a few weeks ago. Just rolled over 5k today. They have doubled in size since I first noticed them so I am assuming they will get bigger or join and peel. I was waiting for the out come from a meeting next week with the service manager before I started asking questions online.

View attachment 127245

View attachment 127246

View attachment 127247
Your cracks are in the gelcoat/fiberglass under the paint. Not just on the surface.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ceramic coating I got is sounding more and more prophetic choice

hah, the ceramic coating won't do anything to fix paint problems and/or prevent damage. A PPF might, but you're only masking the problem at that point.

Coatings do nothing that over the counter waxes and sealants won't do - they just last longer and cost much more.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation with paint cracking on the right front fender where it meets the hood. Ford denied the warranty claim within a couple hours after the dealers body shop submitted the photos and just replied it was from an impact without giving further details. Other than the 5 small cracks the paint is flawless surrounding the area in question and they all start at the same point along the fender edge and are cracking outward.

In the pics the white spot above was a water spot, I wiped it off and the spots below the cracks are just rough edges, they are black and not rock chips. There are no rock chips around the cracks so if these are caused by an impact then the impact left no other marks. You can see/feel along the edge where the cracks are starting that there are rough spots like debris or something under the paint.

In my life I've impacted rocks, dirt, sand, gravel, ice, birds, deer, and just random crap and they all left paint chips, I have never had any impact crack the paint!

Truck was manufactured 11/2018, purchased 02/2019, and noticed the cracks a few weeks ago. Just rolled over 5k today. They have doubled in size since I first noticed them so I am assuming they will get bigger or join and peel. I was waiting for the out come from a meeting next week with the service manager before I started asking questions online.

View attachment 127245

View attachment 127246

View attachment 127247

If you don’t fight, they will continue to initially deny claims like this. I look at this, and OP and immediately ask -what impact causes this and no other collateral damage?

I’m not ruling out the possibility, but... I’ve finished and refinished many firearms and this reeks of insufficient or improper prep. A good body shop can obviously correct it, but, they shouldn’t have to. They can also debunk the impact lie.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ask me, the overall quality on the Raptor is poor at best. I was looking for an 19 to replace my 18 with a scratched dash from the factory. Ford refused to replace it. I was even willing to take a loss and trade for a 19. After looking at over 25 trucks during the past few months, I gave up.

Here's some photos I sent to Ford of 19 Raptor's with various quality control problems including crooked doors, extensive corrosion, paint nibs and crooked hoods and body panel gaps. They basically told me to F'Off and by the way, you have outstanding recalls to fix before your truck catches fire.

20190316_120526.jpg

20190316_120632.jpg

20190415_194832.jpg

20190502_095737.jpg

20190504_125210.jpg

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ask me, the overall quality on the Raptor is poor at best. I was looking for an 19 to replace my 18 with a scratched dash from the factory. Ford refused to replace it. I was even willing to take a loss and trade for a 19. After looking at over 25 trucks during the past few months, I gave up.

Here's some photos I sent to Ford of 19 Raptor's with various quality control problems including crooked doors, extensive corrosion, paint nibs and crooked hoods and body panel gaps. They basically told me to F'Off and by the way, you have outstanding recalls to fix before your truck catches fire.

I don’t disagree with you on that one but I don’t want to rehash that topic again haha. I will say this though, after they denied my paint claim I went to my dealer and walked through all of the F150s on their lot to see if by chance I could find a similar issue. I didn’t but what I did see while looking at over 100 F150s in a row was a lot of body issues that are probably in tolerance but just look odd when you see them side by side. I don’t think any of those trucks had a similar hood mounting! Some were high, some were low compared to the height of the fenders. Some had bigger gaps on the right, some on the left. Some matched the front lip closely to the top of the headlights, some were further away. It was pretty crazy seeing that because it was something I never would have noticed unless I looked at that many trucks in a row.

I find it amusing because my 2015 Platinum was flawless. And i mean flawless, but it was also one of the first platinums to roll off the assembly line for the new 2015 redesign.

OP
OP
H

houtex1

Reaction score
I opened another claim yesterday. This service rep was much more helpful. I was told there were NO pictures of the first complainant on file?!? hmmmmm. Re-submitted the pics and got an estimate of $400.00 to fix the issue. Hopefully I will get the answer I want next week.

OP
OP
H

houtex1

Reaction score
UPDATE: Ford is going to pay to get it fixed.

This all started back in May. The first claimed was denied but I was never notified. I called up asking about it and that's when I was informed. I was also told that the photos of the problem were never sent to Ford. So how did they determine impact damage without seeing the photos? A second shop manager provided the second estimate of the damage. This time he emailed me and my service rep a copy, but when I spoke with Ford claims they never received the estimate. I forwarded Ford the copy and the very next day I got notice they would pay. $400.00 is what the repair will cost.