Peeling paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

houtex1

Reaction score
Good morning everyone.

I've had my 2018 white raptor for about 1.2 years now. I just made 10k miles. Around 6k miles ,the paint on the headlight surround ,the passenger side mirror, and the tailgate handle began to peel. The spots are small but noticeable, the largest about 1 inch by 1/8 inch. I took it to Big Star Ford in Pearland and had the warranty rep and the body shop manager take a look. At first, Ford denied any liability saying it was impact damage. The body shop manager took a closer look with a magnifying glass and said it may be impact damage but the surrounding paint should not have behaved that way. He stated he has seen this before and said it happens when the paint won/t stick to the plastic parts. I filed a second claim and Ford has again denied it. Have any of you had this problem with the paint or a denied claim?

OP
OP
H

houtex1

Reaction score
I submitted pics form my iphone. I don't know how to get them on here.

OP
OP
H

houtex1

Reaction score
These are about when the problem started. I hand wash my truck. Power washer is not the issue.

5796559C-F8BD-4565-9066-B8BDA0DABEB3.jpeg

FF533A38-3E6F-4036-A3E4-52562FD4AE03.jpeg

AF8D8973-4EF1-455A-A17B-7DE5F66FC57D.jpeg

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird....not to derail your post but last night I dreamed that I had found the paint peeling off my truck. By this morning I had already forgotten but then the first thing I saw this morning as I sat with my coffee and logged in here is your post about peeling paint. And we live close to each other too! I recognize your plate.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
that’s a chicken $hit warranty denial. Get a lawyer and sue. I don’t say this lightly, it’s not an easy process, but it’s obvious to the naked eye there’s no impact damage here.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK... did you notice it bubbling at any point? The only factory thing this could be is contamination prior to paint. Is the black plastic scratched at all.

Either way... it’s minimal repair (couple hundred bucks).

Or you could put on those silly carbon fiber pieces I saw on here a couple days ago for $750...

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation with paint cracking on the right front fender where it meets the hood. Ford denied the warranty claim within a couple hours after the dealers body shop submitted the photos and just replied it was from an impact without giving further details. Other than the 5 small cracks the paint is flawless surrounding the area in question and they all start at the same point along the fender edge and are cracking outward.

In the pics the white spot above was a water spot, I wiped it off and the spots below the cracks are just rough edges, they are black and not rock chips. There are no rock chips around the cracks so if these are caused by an impact then the impact left no other marks. You can see/feel along the edge where the cracks are starting that there are rough spots like debris or something under the paint.

In my life I've impacted rocks, dirt, sand, gravel, ice, birds, deer, and just random crap and they all left paint chips, I have never had any impact crack the paint!

Truck was manufactured 11/2018, purchased 02/2019, and noticed the cracks a few weeks ago. Just rolled over 5k today. They have doubled in size since I first noticed them so I am assuming they will get bigger or join and peel. I was waiting for the out come from a meeting next week with the service manager before I started asking questions online.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG