Peeling paint on windshield pillar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMONTES

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has experience with peeing paint around the windshield pillar. I have a white 2013 SCREW and lately the paint has started peeling away around the windshield worse. It’s not weathered, just poor painting from the factory. I got several quotes between $350-$1000. At the low end price, they will not remove the windshield and the high end they will remove it and paint the entire pillar. Is it necessary to remove the windshield? What would you expect to pay? Thanks for all the advice in advance.C007E3CE-24E3-4957-99CF-5449C2E15B38.jpeg

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would sand it myself , prep and tape it off . rattle can it flat black. ITs Not like having a large flat panel that you need a professional painter , this is kinda like a sliver of paint. Do drivers side as well .

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any evidence of rust? I would be inclined to have the windshield removed to make sure you get the root cause either way. Would suck to have it done just to have it start again.

A sand, mask, single stage spray and blend is going to be cheaper than someone pulling the glass, taking it down to the bare metal, correcting any issues, spraying epoxy/sealer then filler, blocking, spraying, paint matching, clear coat cut and buff.

A good epoxy primer can be 4x the cost of cheap do all body shop house brand primer.
Good quality paint or clear can be many times the cost of cheap stuff.

In your case were talking about a tiny amount of material, but it takes just as long to prep and clean a gun if your spraying a whole car or a touch in like this, so for you labor is going to be the major expense. And someone who is more experienced is going to charge more.

Pricing also varies a lot on regions, so the only way you are going to know is to get quotes with step by step breakdowns, ask about paint brands and go from there. You are going to get wild variations in your quotes.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never heard of anybody having this issue, looks like it was probably repainted at one time in its life, after it left the factory. Shouldn't cost too much to have a shop fix that for you, doubt they would remove the windshield, unless you have a windshield claim I wouldn't remove anyway. Cheaper way is to do what the above guys mentioned, mask it off and rattle can it, after you prep it yourself. Start with 120 grit, then sand with 220-320 grit, if you get to bare metal, spray with some primer and let dry good, sand that with 320 grit, you can even use wetsand paper for the final sand of the primer, wipe clean and dry, spray a couple light coats of paint until covered. Good luck.

BigH2OChief

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue in the exact same location on a 13' in the exact same color. No rust. No corrosion. Just crappy prep by Ford. After getting a few estimates that were stupid for what its is... a truck, I sanded, primed and shot it my self with Dupli Color. Worked out just fine and I don't even think about it anymore. The pin stripping from driving it like I stole it is worse to look at. Haha!

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its an issues that the 13-14s had with primer. My 14 is shedding paint from the rain channel. Only true fix is a total strip and paint. Gone thru 2 bottles of O.E. touch up paint...

OP
OP
BMONTES

BMONTES

Reaction score
Bummer, yeah it does seem like a common occurance in 13” Ford vehicles with white paint. Probably will end up paying for a professional. The paint just will keeps flaking away as long as I pull at it. So it will likely be really sloppy if I do it. Plus I suck at anything handy lol.

RustyNutz

Reaction score
Body shop manager here. Full proper method for paint warranty: you always clear to the end of the panel - shops don't rip clear blends anymore because they don't last. Sucks, but doing it right would be remove windshield, bed, and rear upper cab corner trim (which i believe requires pulling the rear glass to get out the lower rivet), repair and refinish A-pillar, blend color up pillar, and clear along roof edge, and down the cab corner. I'd find a rock chip in the windshield (free in FL with ins, dunno bout your state) and have one on stand-by in case they break it removing the glass, happens way too often.

Cheapie way would be pull windshield, and have the shop roll-edge the pillar and spray just the inner side of the a-pillar. it needs prepped right to prevent the other paint from lifting, i wouldn't trust trying to scrap sand and feather down in the valley next to the glass - more peeling would probably show up.

Ford is better than some (except for you econovans!) but most companies have a problem with their white sticking, its so odd. We've repainted quite a few 2018+ Nissan titans for peeling issues, a few newish honda odysseys too for warranty. Suxs it showed up so late in life.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd pay the shop to remove the windshield and do it correctly. That will.assure the bad paint/primer is removed and won't come back.