pcm internal memory problem post cobb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bringbackscab

Reaction score
Hello all hopefully someone has had a similar issue. I have a 2017 supercab, I just installed a new battery ~ 1 week ago with ~ 250 miles put on (battery put on maintainer first day). About a month ago I had the cam phasers 21n03 and the pcm reprogram 21n08 completed on my truck by dealer. I had my truck on a 4 amp charger "in case" during ecu/tcm flash but the battery level never dipped below 75%. Everything went fine. Upon starting, I get the dreaded check engine light, and a notification to my fordpass of "malfunction indicator lamp; the powertrain control module has detected an internal memory problem". Truck runs ok, I contacted Ty at cobb and he is checking out the diagnostics because the accessport is not detecting any codes despite the code being on the truck. Has anyone else experienced this yet? I'm still a noob but at least I try and follow directions well :) I tried doing a forum search but it doesn't appear this has been covered, if it has, my apologies. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3330.PNG
    IMG_3330.PNG
    183.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3329.jpeg
    IMG_3329.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 9

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had that. I'm not entirely sure what I did but probably just cleared the code or disconnected the negative terminal and reset. It seems to be okay now but not sure what it actually means functionally.

OP
OP
bringbackscab

bringbackscab

Reaction score
I have had that. I'm not entirely sure what I did but probably just cleared the code or disconnected the negative terminal and reset. It seems to be okay now but not sure what it actually means functionally.
Have you had the code again? Have you had any issues or tried to reflash or reset ecu/tcm? Appreciated your reply

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Nguage and MPT tune and they have to build me a new tune after I take it in for the phaser reflash next week. I thought someone here said with the Cobb just make sure it has the latest software but not sure.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the PCM update with my Accessport installed and it didn’t affect it at all. Everything was fine, I even uninstalled and reinstalled the AP just to be sure and it all was fine. Try clearing the code and driving it a few days.

OP
OP
bringbackscab

bringbackscab

Reaction score
Use Forscan to check for DTCs. The Accessport is not great at that.
I took it to autozone for the read, 3 codes were generated regarding losing continuous memory. I had them clear them and they haven't returned as of yet. Did the uninstall to see what would happen and surprise, the dummy light is on again.... apparently I need to get a windows computer or figure out the steps to get forscan on my macbook...

Attachments

• IMG_3332.jpeg
    IMG_3332.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
bringbackscab

bringbackscab

Reaction score
I have an Nguage and MPT tune and they have to build me a new tune after I take it in for the phaser reflash next week. I thought someone here said with the Cobb just make sure it has the latest software but not sure.
I had just updated the cobb accessport to the most recent firmware. Confirmed with both Tyler/Kyle at cobb that everything was installed correctly by sending my diagnostics in. I had autozone clear the codes and they hadn't come back on, but then I felt uneasy so un-installed and the light came on again. Whoops

Last edited:

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the code again? Have you had any issues or tried to reflash or reset ecu/tcm? Appreciated your reply
Have not had it again cross my fingers. This was due to a normal install/Uninstall at the time. Since then I have uninstalled and reinstalled to get the new PCM update in Sept. When I got the code it was 6 months back so the Ford update was not part of any of it.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
99 times out of 100, any DTCs/CELs right at startup after a reflash are caused by not waiting long enough after the flash with the key/vehicle in the 'off' position. In this case, codes are generally thrown on other modules that the AP can't read from, which is why you didn't see any DTCs when using the 'Read Codes' function on the AP. No harm/no foul, you'll just need to either reflash again (do a 'Change Map', uninstall/reinstall not necessary) or do a reset to clear the codes.

Thanks,
Sam@COBB