GEN 1 PCM Error Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HEYSEEOH

Reaction score
Gave them the go ahead to fix it. It still doesn't make sense to me.

I could be way off and only thinking in terms of absolutes but if the PCM is bad it should throw codes related to the PCM. It did not, just the pressure control solenoid codes.
If the PCM is bad it shouldn't go back to normal after pulling the battery cable to clear the codes. It ran and shifted normally until it started jumping back to first gear and locking in 3rd or 5th.
If the pressure control solenoid is shorting out the PCM the solenoid is able to be replaced by itself and not the entire valve body like the tech at Ford insisted.
Unsure of this but how many volts could a shorting solenoid push through to the PCM? I don't believe it'd be enough to toast it. But I could be wrong.

I'm just sour about spending a combined ~$4000 to fix a problem that sounds like it should be covered under that 16N02 Extended Coverage but wasn't because it wasn't throwing 1 of 2 DTC's but met every other requirement. I understand it needs to meet everything for Ford to reimburse the dealer. These are just the things that didn't make sense to me but that may just be a confirmation bias.

Anyway, truck is on the market. It was a great truck before that transmission issue that will be fixed tomorrow. Hopefully it serves the next owner well after I've spent that much on it. I'd rather have a new truck and not have to worry about too much for a while.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need to call Ford customer service and tell the agent that takes the call you problem,
it will be looked at and they will contact the service and warranty supervisors at the dealer.
That dealer is playing games in my opinion.

The problem you have is no codes of the LeadFrame were recorded only a bad solenoid, so it wouldn't be covered under 16nO2 recall.
Even though the LeadFrame sends the current, kind of sucks.

Trade it in and get a 2011-2014 Raptor with low mileage at a dealer with extended warranty

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HEYSEEOH

Reaction score
Just wanted to update anyone that may be searching for a fix to this problem in the future. I hate to say it but this thread does not have a conclusion. Just more headache and confusion. The dealer ended up putting in a new valve body. To recap, we now have a new PCM and valve body.

About a month and a half later, the truck started shifting back to first, stuttering for approximately 5 seconds, and then sticking in third or fifth gear. So, now being even more upset because their recommendation still did not fix the problem I got in contact with the service manager at Asheville Ford. Explained my situation and there was no sympathy, empathy, and no acceptance of fault. The only thing they could tell me was that the technician followed Ford's recommendation to repair the problem.

So then I got in contact with the general manager. Still the same story, that the tech followed Ford's recommendation. Neither of them seemed to acknowledge there was $3,200 spend on the exact same problem to be repaired and neither of the repairs worked. There was no offer of any refund and no offer of a discount on a future repair.

So I jumped on the phone with Ford corporate. They basically told me that it's all in the hands of the dealer. When I asked who at Ford corporate holds dealerships accountable for their shortcomings and their answer was no one. When I asked if there was a customer service division that helps people outside of the dealership, their answer was that there wasn't.

I refused to spend another dime to fix the truck so I traded it in for almost no equity due to being honest with the dealer I traded it in to. Needless to say, my experience with the F150 was great, help from Ford was not. I did not buy another Ford and probably won't for a long time. Certainly not through this Ford dealership. If anyone lives in Western North Carolina, do not get your truck serviced at Asheville Ford. Grant Feightner and Bob Slebonick will not help out in the least.