PCI Radio Install Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I bought a basic ICOM 2300 and really dreading doing the install. Why? Because I don’t know where I want to mount it. I’m not a fan of it sitting on top of the dash. My first thoughts were to mount it into the center console since it’s a big void for me.

You could always lag screw it to the roof.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend runs the ICOM with the face plate on his dash and loves it. I almost went that route. But instead, after many nights (beers) sitting in my truck thinking about where and how I wanted things set up, I ended up with a Kenwood from PCI. For the events that I do, I put the radio on one channel and leave it there. I didn't see a benefit for me to having a external, visible face plate, and the extra steps install wise for mounting it.

I mounted mine in the center console, on the passenger side. This way it's easier to see from the drivers seat when you open the console lid. If you mount to the drivers side inside the console, you really have to turn you neck down and to the right to see it.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is where I want and like my mic. I've been using a Hammerhead CB Mic Keeper. It's a retractable lanyard (link below). I've got it hanging with paracord from my passenger side visor. I don't really like this when pushing the truck hard because the mic starts whipping around in a big circle in the truck. So I now lay the mic over my right leg or put it in the media opening in front of the shifter. I've got a magnet mount for the mic from PCI that I want to try out, I just need to spend some more time sitting (drinking) inside the truck to decide where to mount it.

I also did the GJ third brake light with antenna mount. I'd suggest separating the install into two parts. Do the third brake light as one project. And do the radio as a separate project. Or better yet, hire someone who's done it before to do it for you. Having not done either previously, this was one heck of a project for me. I had 1/2 my interior out of my truck. I did end up drilling a hole large enough for the antenna wire in the back corner of my console. After getting the passenger seat out, and looking at all the console mounting hardware, I decided not try try and remove it. It looked like a huge pain.

13D83DF6-EAC9-42A0-9767-E2C594A3D1C0.jpeg6564539A-D70D-4BCF-878E-2BAA7FCF3B44.jpeg

Last edited:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I installed a magnetic base on the dash builtrite panel for the mic. I unplug it and keep it in the center console when not in use.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a magnetic base on the dash builtrite panel for the mic. I unplug it and keep it in the center console when not in use.

Same here. Used this 67 designs to attach the magnetic mic to the builright panel. I remove it for day to day driving. Super easy ram ball setup.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's the same magnetic mount I have. @Nex - Do you have picture of your set up? Struggling to picture this. Same for you @jm77 - I'd love to see a picture of yours too. I thought the CB mic lanyard was a great idea until it started flying around my cab like a projectile looking for a target.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Nex I'll have to check that location out for my truck. With my radio in the console on the passenger side, that may give my mic wire a funky stretched out path. Thanks again for the picture.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Thank you @Nex I'll have to check that location out for my truck. With my radio in the console on the passenger side, that may give my mic wire a funky stretched out path. Thanks again for the picture.

You can mount the magnet anywhere. I have seen them on the center console near the shifter.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a basic ICOM 2300 and really dreading doing the install. Why? Because I don’t know where I want to mount it. I’m not a fan of it sitting on top of the dash. My first thoughts were to mount it into the center console since it’s a big void for me.
yea.. they sell a simple bracket that lets the radio 'hang' there, but watch out when you do end up catching the least bit of float-y-ness..lol.. that's how i had mine in my 18..and can do in my 22, but.. be bit easier to do the remote face so i don't need to run the wires under the seat again and poke through the console bottom

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the same magnetic mount I have. @Nex - Do you have picture of your set up? Struggling to picture this. Same for you @jm77 - I'd love to see a picture of yours too. I thought the CB mic lanyard was a great idea until it started flying around my cab like a projectile looking for a target.
Here’s some pictures. I have 3 mounting locations. A scoche plate (adhesive backed) on either side of the center console and the magnetic mic on a 67designs arm to built right panel.

The magnetic mic is a really strong magnet. Really solid

Attachments

• C4CA23DE-0A7C-42C0-B0BB-DF60D99BA18B.jpeg
    C4CA23DE-0A7C-42C0-B0BB-DF60D99BA18B.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 72C6411E-7FCD-4513-9331-AC235F2DBF48.jpeg
    72C6411E-7FCD-4513-9331-AC235F2DBF48.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 2322C757-7D9F-41CA-B296-F940ED6D6C3E.jpeg
    2322C757-7D9F-41CA-B296-F940ED6D6C3E.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 36B4A694-E5EC-4561-AE1B-3988F35B4182.jpeg