Passing State Inspection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having issues with getting my truck to pass a NC state inspection. It keeps saying the O2 sensor isn't completed, along with a couple other things, and at the top it says some things aren't ready. Would a tune "turn" these off and make them not register with the computer? Or would I need to go by a dealership because their computers would potentially be better to read the vehicle's computer? I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds to reset everything and then ran it for about 70 miles before going back and it's the same thing. I didn't have the same issue w my 07 F150 and it had a programmer, CAI, and exhaust work done to it too. Would the tune still be in the computer after disconnecting it too? If so, I can put it back o stock, run it for a bit, then take it back to see if it works. I'm hopin someone w a little more experience and knowledge than myself can shed some light.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been having issues with getting my truck to pass a NC state inspection. It keeps saying the O2 sensor isn't completed, along with a couple other things, and at the top it says some things aren't ready. Would a tune "turn" these off and make them not register with the computer? Or would I need to go by a dealership because their computers would potentially be better to read the vehicle's computer? I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds to reset everything and then ran it for about 70 miles before going back and it's the same thing. I didn't have the same issue w my 07 F150 and it had a programmer, CAI, and exhaust work done to it too. Would the tune still be in the computer after disconnecting it too? If so, I can put it back o stock, run it for a bit, then take it back to see if it works. I'm hopin someone w a little more experience and knowledge than myself can shed some light.

Need more info about what you have done to your truck. Is it stock?

OP
OP
crashmc302

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hockster said:
Need more info about what you have done to your truck. Is it stock?

Custom exhaust, CAI, and a 5 Star tune. The negative had been pulled for 30 seconds and I hadn't retuned it after that, but I don't think it reset the tune anyways.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Custom exhaust, CAI, and a 5 Star tune. The negative had been pulled for 30 seconds and I hadn't retuned it after that, but I don't think it reset the tune anyways.

Eh, removing the battery only resets the adaptive tables... What I would is put the tune back to stock, make sure the oil is clean and then go get it tested...

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call 5 Star up and ask them if it turned off your O2 sensors. If it did, you can turn them back on with the tuner.

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a question out of curiousity.....What kind of custom exhaust?
Cat back or complete? Just curious as to the status of your O2 sensors.

OP
OP
crashmc302

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DynoDynge said:
Just a question out of curiousity.....What kind of custom exhaust?
Cat back or complete? Just curious as to the status of your O2 sensors.

Cat back. And I'm gonna reset it to stock. I got a hold of the driving procedures from the dealership to get all the sensors to read properly. (I don't remember the exact name of them off the top of my head.) The computer keeps reading them and a couple other sensors as "not ready". So it may still pass no problem, I've just gotta get the prescribed driving patterns in to get everything reading properly.

Note: they're called Drive Traces and holy crap, they're some weird procedures. I'll need a track to follow them exactly.

Last edited:

Swanny

Reaction score
Crash, out of curiosity did you get it to pass finally? I ask because I have a similar setup to yours and am running into 3 Not Readys; o2 sens, the o2 sens htr, and the catalyst...

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did either of you get your trucks to pass? My truck will not pass and I am getting the same three not ready indications. Catalyst, O2 Sens and O2 Sens Htr.

I have a CAI, custom true-dual exhaust and 5-star tunes. is this an issue with the tunes from 5-star?

TX-Raptor