Passenger Side Vs. Driver Side Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graybeard

Reaction score
That "valve washing thing" is bull$hit. Not good enough.

If you need a catch can depends entirely on how you drive it. If your truck is a trailer queen and you don't push the pedal too hard, you don't need anything more. I understand that my driving habits are different than most. I enjoy right pedal and torque. Inanimate objects become projectiles quickly in my vehicle if not properly secured down. Much of any time at WOT and you will want a can on these ecoboost engines.

A telltale sign you need a catch can is to inspect your intake. If you pull off the manifold and peer inside - How do those valves look? If you see shiny metal, great! You don't need one. If it is BLACK and heavily sooted like mine has been multiple times - Get yourself a can. It's also a little too late to add the can without doing a lot of cleaning as well.

I have been running the UPR on my driver side for about 9k miles. Really wanted to get another for passenger side as well, but I'm giving the one a try first. What I've read indicates that about 80% of the oil issues are coming from the passenger side PCV fitting. I've found a lot of oil in my catch can. I plan to reinspect my intake at 10k miles post change to see if I notice a difference. I've also been saving the catch can stuff to quantify what it is catching. I'll snap a pic quick for you guys....

Graybeard

Reaction score
Here are a couple photos of what I have collected from my catch can over roughly 9,000 miles. I know I dropped one or two tanks while traveling (not included here). I'd say less than half of the fluid (maybe 40%) is oil with the remainder mostly water. By eye, I'd say that is at least a pint of oil.

IMG_2804.jpeg

IMG_2806.jpeg

OP
OP
Danactive

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
thank you for all of the advice and informative information from everyone. like many have said it all depends on multiple factors but like many have said for $150-200 its not much for added precautionary prevention IMO.

i drive my truck daily to and from work which is 30 miles round trip. mostly back roads/curvy roads so i get into boost occasionally but no where near what most get to do on the daily. i also only run 93 octane (costco FTW) and oil changes every 4-5k miles. I'm coming up on 65k miles so i think diff, transmission and brake fluids are in my near future but so far other than having camphasers I've been very happy with the truck and want to protect it and increase its lifespan by any means necessary.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get a catchcan, its a waste of money. I've had one for 4 years and haven't seen a drop of oil come out of it.
Not a waste of money if you get the right one, and install it correctly.

I had one, JLT, poorly installed by a shop. Got a bunch of PCV codes, and absolutely no waste. Took it off; no more codes thrown. Researched different brands until I decided to go Full Race all around. After all I had done mentally, and physically, to get it installed on my Expedition I was determined to see something!!!

Low and behold, on the day I finally got the courage to open that petcock handle I got between a 1/4 to 1/2 a solo cups worth of crap. Was gonna post a pic, but I slipped off the step stool, drop the cup inside the engine compartment. No more evidence of my first drain!!! I was kinda upset with myself. Oh well…

I just said that to say they do work. Just have to get a good one apparently. Hopefully people are finding success with cheaper models. Plus $400 is a lot of money. In my case I fell like money well spent. I no longer get the fouled manifold sensor causing “limp mode” conditions at highway speeds under heavy acceleration… not cool.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple photos of what I have collected from my catch can over roughly 9,000 miles. I know I dropped one or two tanks while traveling (not included here). I'd say less than half of the fluid (maybe 40%) is oil with the remainder mostly water. By eye, I'd say that is at least a pint of oil.

View attachment 346462

View attachment 346464
That’s about the consistency of the stuff I’m getting out.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I had one, JLT, poorly installed by a shop. Got a bunch of PCV codes, and absolutely no waste. Took it off; no more codes thrown. Researched different brands until I decided to go Full Race all around. After all I had done mentally, and physically, to get it installed on my Expedition I was determined to see something!!!

Low and behold, on the day I finally got the courage to open that petcock handle I got between a 1/4 to 1/2 a solo cups worth of crap. Was gonna post a pic, but I slipped off the step stool, drop the cup inside the engine compartment. No more evidence of my first drain!!! I was kinda upset with myself. Oh well…

I just said that to say they do work. Just have to get a good one apparently. Hopefully people are finding success with cheaper models. Plus $400 is a lot of money. In my case I fell like money well spent. I no longer get the fouled manifold sensor causing “limp mode” conditions at highway speeds under heavy acceleration… not cool.
I’ve had no problems with the JLT single side. Installed myself, simple as can be.
40,000+ miles of use.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had no problems with the JLT single side. Installed myself, simple as can be.
40,000+ miles of use.
For whatever reason (thinking it was a vacuum issue due to a poor seal due to the way the tuning shop installed the catch can) I didn’t get any residue in my catch can. Wasn’t real impressed with the mounting location of that can either.

Anyway, got rid of it and installed the Full Race can as I previously mentioned. Glad your worked out for you. It’s the much cheaper option… trust me!!!

Kyle761

Reaction score

I just said that to say they do work. Just have to get a good one apparently. Hopefully people are finding success with cheaper models. Plus $400 is a lot of money. In my case I fell like money well spent. I no longer get the fouled manifold sensor causing “limp mode” conditions at highway speeds under heavy acceleration… not cool
I got a good one. UPR and I installed it myself.

aaron1085

Reaction score
Any chance we can post some links to these exact products? New to the raptor world and intend to get one. I see some with two lines and as mentioned, some just matched to the passenger side…