Part Number for Pinion Bearing [Gen1]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone (@FordTechOne) help provide a Ford part number for the inner pinion bearing on the rear diff? I pulled this image from parts.ford.com using my VIN and had my local dealer pull 4630, which is what I thought it was, but it is smaller than what is on the truck.
1625179859153.png

I have the bearing here and it measures 2" ID, 3.45" OD, 0.85" wide. O'Reily's shows a 1.3" and 1.6" ID, which is close (if not the same) as what the dealer pulled for me, but it doesn't match what I pulled off the truck. I sent my wife to the dealer with the outer race to get a new one, but she sent me back a picture saying it is smaller and the dealer is having a hard time finding the correct one.

Just to be clear, this is the larger of the two pinion bearings, which I believe would be the "inner" bearing; it is the one closest to the diff/ring gear/back of truck.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
jondle

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check that out. That site lists two 4630 bearings, both fitting the 2011 Raptor:
9L3Z-4630-A
BC3Z-4630-A

Perhaps they are different size and one of them will fit. I'll send this over to the parts guy and see if he can pull whichever he wasn't pulling previously.

It is odd; I've never had a dealer use the VIN to lookup a part and not be able to find the right one.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check that out. That site lists two 4630 bearings, both fitting the 2011 Raptor:
9L3Z-4630-A
BC3Z-4630-A

Perhaps they are different size and one of them will fit. I'll send this over to the parts guy and see if he can pull whichever he wasn't pulling previously.

It is odd; I've never had a dealer use the VIN to lookup a part and not be able to find the right one.
Maybe you have an experimental dif, lol. Yeah, it's rare these days to not get the correct part from your vin, but there's always little quirks that a good parts guy knows about.

OP
OP
jondle

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well post some pics of your rebuild, DAMNs it!
Haha. It isn't interesting, but sure. I work VERY slow, so this has been going on for about 6 weeks and still isn't done. It all started because my axle seals were leaking after 7 days in Baja.

PXL_20210519_021204024.jpg

I decided that while I had the seals out I would just replace the bearings too. The outer race of the bearing was seized in the housing; I tried everything to get it out. Finally I called a mobile mechanic, who worked on it for 30 minutes and made no progress. Only option was to replace the entire axle housing.

Old housing looked clean inside:
PXL_20210620_233426806.jpg

Diff beautifully laid out.
PXL_20210620_233504957.jpg

Old housing after it came crashing to the ground.
PXL_20210701_012743800.jpg

New housing, fully supported by springs.PXL_20210704_201746484.jpg

That's where we sit today. I need to press in the cup for the inner pinion bearing, which I wish I would have done prior to bolting up the housing. Then put the diff back in, break mounting plates, shocks, axles, rotors, calipers, wheels, and ready to drive. I'm also replacing all the parking break hardware and shoes while I've got it open since it was so dirty and oil soaked.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's awesome. Don't throw that old housing away, there's guys that will pay a mint for that. You should be able to heat that race up and pull it out or a good rear end shop should have the tools to make it work. Where did you get your housing at? Thought they were scarcer than hen's teeth.