Panoramic rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonga3

Reaction score
I used the DuPont Krytox and it solved my rattle noise. The noise was coming from the rear of it in the area near the 3rd brake light. Was flexing up and down when going over rough pavement.
I applied the grease from the outside in between the rubber and the paint. Went all the way around. Dont need too much and kinda worked it in between using my finger. Then cleaned off any that may have gotten onto the glass or paint.
Had been chasing this rattle noise for months.
Very happy now and completely quiet.

I did this two weeks ago and it completely eliminated the annoying rattle. I was popping open the roof everyday to stop it and since I added the grease I haven't touched it.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Just some crap I've found on the interweb...

There are different viscosities / temp range parameters for the super-expensive Krytox grease. The one which I *think* is correct is "Krytox GPL 205" (per the TSB summary on ford.oemdtc.com):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLDALQ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Wear sealed gloves doing it unless you're having trouble with your fingers creaking and rattling too. I did only use a very small bit of it doing my roof.

And here's the adjustment video (haven't tried yet, intend to, so far grease has worked, but have like 2 hours of testing with grease):

TSB summary: https://ford.oemdtc.com/4685/vista-...oof-opening-panel-closed-2015-2019-ford-f-150

TSB: PDF https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/MC-10160817-0001.pdf

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Well after more "research" I think grease cures one problem and adjustment cures another.

Mine is now, knock on wood, silent, by adjusting the height/angle of the fixed rear glass panel. I did not add any foam/padding as per the video, just adjusted the roof position using the 6 T25 bolts as shown in the video ^. Definitely be careful torquing these, they were not torqued much from factory.

For mine I wound up finding the following to be silent:
* FORWARD part of roof in a roughly MIDDLE position.
* AFT part of root as LOW as possible.

I set mine entirely symmetric from side-to-side.

It actually lines up pretty well with the contour of the roof like this, although the forward (movable) portion of the roof does stick up a tiny bit relative to it when closed. No worse than it was from the factory though.

There's an area paved with "large cobbelstone" at the entrance of my subdivision that serves as a perfect testing ground. Recommend finding one of these and doing laps, pulling over, adjusting roof. Felt like more of a complete idiot than usual doing laps around it, but oh well.

Also ran it through car wash...seal appears to be better, almost no water going through the drain system now (there was more with factory setup).

Very happy for now...really hope it *stays* this way. Posting this 15 minutes after fixing it though, so yet to see if this solution works across temperature ranges.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I definitely can tell the difference after the stealership adjusted mine. I can’t say it’s totally quiet, like new, but, it’s much improved. What you’re saying seems to make sense.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you guys got your noisy roofs quite.
Nice huh.
Mine is still doing well since using the Krytox grease.
Knock on wood

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got it. Just need a warmer day to clean and apply. I’m hoping this is the wonder lube that will keep what is left of my sanity and hair lol

23E2B04F-2508-4DD6-9BA2-3BA6DD658009.jpeg