Panoramic rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

Reaction score
Just posted about this in another thread...my dealer replaced my tracks free of charge under warranty.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Just posted about this in another thread...my dealer replaced my tracks free of charge under warranty.

yeah, that works for the first 3 years, but some older, wiser and mostly older other FRF members have posted up some videos and helpful hints.

If you use the moonroof frequently, this isn’t much of an issue, but I’m not certain what the maintenance interval on the moon roof is.

if longer than a few weeks between opening, or after large temperature shifts, press up on the front part of the moon roof to assist in lifting it, and actuate the ‘vent’ function on the moon roof - the button that tilts the rear of the front moon roof panel upward. Lube carefully with Krytox - linked above in previous posts. Lower moon roof. Actuate moon roof opening, sliding to the rear.

I’ve yet to pick up the Krytox but planning on it.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anybody adjusted the height of the front and rear panels?

Mine is about 1/16” lower than the sheet metal.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Has anybody adjusted the height of the front and rear panels?

Mine is about 1/16” lower than the sheet metal.
I tried mucking about with the rear panel height before taking it in for pano roof rattle last time. I didn’t make a positive difference for sure. I don’t think I made it any worse, which seems a bit weird to me but I only had it that way for a day or 2.

Honestly, as an end user without a lot of significant expertise, I don’t feel like messing with it. Adjust, test for leaks, test for rattles, repeat is a bit of a tedious process. I’ve just resigned myself to this thing is going to rattle around until I either permanently affix it in place or things go horribly wrong which would likely end up on youtube.

I’ll take care of it with Krytox the best I can but definitely not getting another moon roof of this design.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried mucking about with the rear panel height before taking it in for pano roof rattle last time. I didn’t make a positive difference for sure. I don’t think I made it any worse, which seems a bit weird to me but I only had it that way for a day or 2.

Honestly, as an end user without a lot of significant expertise, I don’t feel like messing with it. Adjust, test for leaks, test for rattles, repeat is a bit of a tedious process. I’ve just resigned myself to this thing is going to rattle around until I either permanently affix it in place or things go horribly wrong which would likely end up on youtube.

I’ll take care of it with Krytox the best I can but definitely not getting another moon roof of this design.

Based on my own mucking about, I have raised the fixed panel so that it is level withe the roof. I haven’t tried messing around with the height of the front panel yet.

I’d like to raise both so they’re level. I wonder if the fixed panel can be removed without ripping out the headliner?

I’d like to work on it myself rather than the dealer. I’m pretty good at fixing stuff and I’m always up for a challenge.

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if Ford will do this TSB as a warranty even if I don't actually hear anything abnormal? I sure would like them to do it instead of me.

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly @dmarkh, I just hit the rubber seal around the moonroof with some WD40 Silicone grease and that keeps the rattle away for a few months at a time