Panoramic Moonroof Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott E

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2018 with the panoramic moonroof. As it turns out, my warranty expired 1 week ago. I haven't touched it all winter long. About two days ago, I opened it and it made a loud banging noise. Today, I went to open it and made a noise again and didn't open at all. I was able to use the pop-up vent though. Later today, I went to try it again and it did open but made the banging noise again. Anyone have these kind of issues? If so, did you take it in for repair and what was the cost? I'm guessing Ford will do nothing for me since it's out of warranty now. Kind of BS though that this is happening at a convenient time after warranty expired. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the future after getting it fixed.....ALWAYS pop it up to vent BEFORE sliding back to open fully & ESPECIALLY important the first time using it that day or after sitting for any length of time & also especially after big swings in temp/humidity or after rain storm

Ford el-cheapo pano roof use 101

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Also, lube the seals with Ford’s super expensive Krytox grease. It helps to prevent the sticking.
BTW, the issue isn’t limited to Ford, my wife’s s00b moon roof stuck just this week. popped to vent, closed, opened and moved on with life.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a TSB for the issue with revised brackets. Also, as others have mentioned it’s important to keep the seals lubricated with Krytox grease.

The roof opening panel is a giant piece of heavy glass. When it hasn’t been used in a while and the seals stick from hot/cold cycles and a lack of lubricant, the brackets become the weak point. Hence the revised brackets in the TSB.

If you bought the truck new, or have purchased other Ford/Lincoln vehicles new, Ford corporate may be willing to cover part or all of the cost of the repair.

If you bought used but have purchased multiple vehicles from the same dealer and/or have your vehicle serviced there on a regular basis, the dealer may be willing to use some of their goodwill funds to help you out.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Also, lube the seals with Ford’s super expensive Krytox grease. It helps to prevent the sticking.
BTW, the issue isn’t limited to Ford, my wife’s s00b moon roof stuck just this week. popped to vent, closed, opened and moved on with life.
Smurfslayer, where are you supposed to apply the grease? Track, seals? Thank you in advance Sir