GEN 2 Pano sunroof rattle - possible fix???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was the first day of spring so I spent some time looking at the pano sunroof to try to remedy the rattle. The rattle was noticeable when cold and seemed to be coming from the fixed rear panel. I also noticed that the rear of the fixed panel is higher than the front where it meets the tilt/slide panel.

If you open the sun screen all the way, there are 3 screws on both sides. I loosened the front two screws (left the rear one tight) and I was able to lift the fixed panel almost 1/8”. Did the other side as well.

Went for a little spin and no rattle. Gonna keep an ear on it for next couple days. Also going to look for leaks too.

OP
OP
JohnyPython

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So far so good, not a peep from the sunroof.

Only a 15 mile commute but pretty happy. Let’s see long term now.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting I did not look at that but I greased mine up really good yesterday including the seal and the rails and so far quiet as a mouse....

If it acts up again I will check out those screws you are talking about.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little grease did it for me too. Opens and closes much quieter too. Less rubbing of the seals.

18 SCrew Magnetic, Roush CAI. Whipple tuned. SPD adapters, Kooks Green catted down pipes. Kooks mid pipes w/ resonator. HF & VHF Connected.

OP
OP
JohnyPython

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, a little update. The rattle went away for a bit and it has come back but intermittently. I found a video that I think will be the solution. Basically, the rear panel is held up by 6 tabs and any sort of cab flex will cause the panel to move. It’s a heavy pane of glass and my theory is it is never evenon the 6 tabs. In the video, the owner only does one tab but I plan to do all 6. Cleaning and lubing the seals might not be a bad idea either. Here the vid:

two0seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor doesn't rattle but my 16 F-150 did and my wife's new Expo did. Both were resolved with greasing.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of grease are y'all using? Mine has started to catch a bit as it opens/closes. TIA.

OP
OP
JohnyPython

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: cleaned the seal around the moonroof.

A light smear of dielectric grease on the fixed panel

So far, it’s silent. Looks like a maintenance item.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the TSB done today and whisper quiet. Hopefully it stays this way.