Pano lube?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I looked but couldn’t find thread about whether to get a pano or not. I’m firmly in the pano camp. However, I do now see what people may be speaking of when they mention potential problems.

I do follow the advice and pop it up first. Never had to do that on any other vehicle, but it does seem a bit sticky when I do.

I know someone mentioned an expensive lube or grease specifically made for the tracks. I’m not a cheapskate like someone else around here admitted and always want the best.

So what it that stuff? Ty.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t remember the title to the noisy moon roof thread, but within someone claimed white lithium grease quieted the rattle but only for a little while and I think a few other, shall we say, ... more frugal... options fared not as well or worse.

wouldn’t you know, I just closed the tab for the thread on the f150 forum. short story long, I had this periodic rattle and I’d convinced myself it was the moonroof. procured the adhesive padding and was going to effect the repair but before, I took all the extra goodies out of the truck from behind the seat, and under the rear seats. took a ride, noise still there. Then on the way back i noticed it was only happening when the bumps were on the passenger side.

More testing, and more and finally I figured it wasn’t the moonroof. The only variable I could find was the passenger side seat belt. <-- this was it. Nothing I could do to stow that belt shy of actually fastening it would keep it from rattling around.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did wind up doing a google search. I don’t have any noise or squeak, but I can tell sitting in the sun the glass can begin to stick. I’ve had pano roofs on at least 20 vehicles and have never had to service them in any way except to clear a clogged drain once or twice.

In any event, ford recommends stuff called krytox. It’s like 30 bucks for a small tube. I figure I’ll give it a shot.

While I’ve got your ear, is there a way to pop the back of pano and leave the shade closed or mostly closed? Forscan maybe?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
if there is, I’m not aware of one.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thread on here said dielectric grease was the way to go. haven't used it yet but will probably be getting some soon.

TiNyLoBo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any rattling over the past couple years of having mine...but it did get stuck open right before a rainstorm. Ford replaced the tracks, and we were good to go again. I went from having a 650i convertible, so my windows are always all open. I effing love having it, especially when we are on trails at night...can just pop it open, kill the lights, and enjoy the stars. =)

The shade opens in two stages; you have to push the button twice to fully retract it...same as with the pano, you have to push twice to fully open (if that last 3" means the world to you, as it does me).

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked but couldn’t find thread about whether to get a pano or not. I’m firmly in the pano camp. However, I do now see what people may be speaking of when they mention potential problems.

I do follow the advice and pop it up first. Never had to do that on any other vehicle, but it does seem a bit sticky when I do.

I know someone mentioned an expensive lube or grease specifically made for the tracks. I’m not a cheapskate like someone else around here admitted and always want the best.

So what it that stuff? Ty.

I have a large tube of Krytox, I used it once on my pano on my '15, a little goes a long way, yours if you want it, as I have no use for it. PM me

Mcthnyfe1

Reaction score
There is a you I’ve video by a ford service guy showing the lubricant he uses and how to do it. It is a little expensive but he claims it works. I have had my truck since January without issues