Pandora & Waze Continue Running on Iphone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I unplug my I-phone from my truck, the battery on my phone will go dead much faster than normal if I do not open up Pandora and Waze manually (the two apps I use in my truck) and shut them down manually. If I toggle through the open apps on my phone, it does not show them, so I need to manually open them up and shut them down to save the battery. I am not sure how I came across this solution, but it works. Has anybody seen something similar? Is there something that I need to set up so I do not have to manually open and shut down the apps every time I leave my truck?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
relatively new IOS? I can definitely see waze or any other navigation app draining the battery, that’s one of the if not the fastest way to drain the battery down to zero.

I hadn’t seen the ‘ghost’ navigation task or similar before and I mostly use truck first, then @pple maps - but, I diligently close down the maps app after I arrive at destination, as I don’t like carrying a small inanimate object that does nothing with me, I much prefer to be able to use my phone.

weird.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has done it for as long as I can remember, but I am on the latest IOS. It is weird that the apps keep running in ghost mode on my I-phone and are not visible when swiping through my apps, but I am pretty certain they are running in the background because it is guaranteed that my battery will drain quickly if I do not open both of those apps up manually and shut them down manually on my phone.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
If you open the phone while on CarPlay, the apps are “on” correct? have you tried unlocking the phone before shutting down the truck?

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you open the phone while on CarPlay, the apps are “on” correct? have you tried unlocking the phone before shutting down the truck?
Thanks for your help. Help me understand what you mean. I need to have my phone open for it to be recognized for CarPlay. Unless I am mistaken, I believe it remains open from that point forward, but I will test tonight. I also believe I have disconnected my phone while the truck is running and after I have turned the truck off with the same result ..... the two apps continue to run in ghost mode on my phone and drain my battery until I manually open and close them.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Ok, I think you have the gist of what I was trying to get at. That’s just weird. Now you’ve got me wondering here. I’m going to try and remember to try waze next time I’m in the truck.

My thinking was - you’re in the truck, wazing or whatever. open phone, shut down truck, unplug - if you show the open apps, is waze there?

If not, that seems to indicate CarPlay isn’t shutting down the app correctly.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think you have the gist of what I was trying to get at. That’s just weird. Now you’ve got me wondering here. I’m going to try and remember to try waze next time I’m in the truck.

My thinking was - you’re in the truck, wazing or whatever. open phone, shut down truck, unplug - if you show the open apps, is waze there?

If not, that seems to indicate CarPlay isn’t shutting down the app correctly.
If I show the open apps on my phone after I turn off the truck and disconnect my phone, it does not show Waze or Pandora, but I promise you, they are running. I will do some more research and let you know if I find anything.