Painting the wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what people generally think about changing the color or look of the stock wheels or beadlock ring by painting, plastidip, wrap, or whatever method is out there.

I ask because there's a part of me that's want to do aesthetic changes to the truck, but feels like spending $1k+ for new wheels feels like a waste. At the same time, for whatever reason, sometimes these mods to wheels comes off as rather cheap for some reason, particularly on the Raptor. Not trying to knock anyone's who's done it, just trying to gauge the perception. If I were to do something myself like this, it would probably be painting the beadlock rings, but I get the feeling it would look like I just cheaped out on new wheels.

As an aside, I do think it's interesting that paint, vinyl, etc seems to be viewed as perfectly fine for other parts of the truck. No one will knock you for painting the fender flares, bumper, or vents. Decals do have a mixed opinion, depending on what is done. But wheels seems different. Perhaps the reasons is that there are more aftermarket wheel options then there are for flares and vents, and bumpers only come in black....while there are many many variations on wheels? Or perhaps wheels have become a big focal point over other features?

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
The reason is the abuse they see. Powder coat them, They will look great.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I don't see what's wrong with painting the wheels if you prefer a different look but like the wheels. The majority of aftermarket wheels are painted anyways.

Plasti dip is a really good option to see what you like, or if you want the option of going back to stock colors. Plasti dip has held up on parts for me really well, but I'm sure if you rub the wheel on something it's coming right off.

I will say, it sounds to me like you might want new wheels but don't want to spend the money. In my experience, that will lead to painting the wheels and then turning around and buying new wheels later.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will say, it sounds to me like you might want new wheels but don't want to spend the money. In my experience, that will lead to painting the wheels and then turning around and buying new wheels later.

You are probably accurate here. The smart thing to do then is nothing until the new wheel bug wins over.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, there was a dude on here with 19 beadlocks who got stuck or was off roading. Anyway, he posted a pic of his wheels and they had lots of road rash. So the factory beadlocks might not be very durable.

Personally, I like the 19 beadlocks. The only reason I want new wheels is I'm not fond of the 18 silver factory wheels.

Last edited:

MasterKeebs

Reaction score
Gen1 here, but I painted mine. Beadlocks and rings are way outside of my budget and haven’t found a set of wheels that are a must have, but also wanted something different and wanted them to match the rest of the truck. Came out pretty decent for my amateur abilities IMHO. Not sure about the Gen2 wheels, but the 2011 rims come painted & clear coated, not powdered.

7C5FAB05-3F10-43EB-9403-B9072A566ECE.jpeg

48FEF7A4-FCA0-44CD-924D-F9AF00EAEFBE.jpeg

VelociRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what people generally think about changing the color or look of the stock wheels or beadlock ring by painting, plastidip, wrap, or whatever method is out there.

I ask because there's a part of me that's want to do aesthetic changes to the truck, but feels like spending $1k+ for new wheels feels like a waste. At the same time, for whatever reason, sometimes these mods to wheels comes off as rather cheap for some reason, particularly on the Raptor. Not trying to knock anyone's who's done it, just trying to gauge the perception. If I were to do something myself like this, it would probably be painting the beadlock rings, but I get the feeling it would look like I just cheaped out on new wheels.

As an aside, I do think it's interesting that paint, vinyl, etc seems to be viewed as perfectly fine for other parts of the truck. No one will knock you for painting the fender flares, bumper, or vents. Decals do have a mixed opinion, depending on what is done. But wheels seems different. Perhaps the reasons is that there are more aftermarket wheel options then there are for flares and vents, and bumpers only come in black....while there are many many variations on wheels? Or perhaps wheels have become a big focal point over other features?

Man, do what you feel is right for you and your truck, care less about what others think as long as you’re happy with the result - nothing else matters, Metallica said so ;-)