Painted Speaker Grills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the silver speaker grills looked out of place so I painted them. I removed the grills by carefully popping them out with a screwdriver then painted them with a satin black spray paint. They match the door perfectly and look much better.

DSCN2828_zps2b0f4c72.jpg

DSCN2830_zpsa33f3df2.jpg

IRONMAN

Reaction score
So no tabs or anything behind the grill?
I've been wanting to change the color of mine as well but wasn't sure if I had to remove the whole door panel.

OP
OP
R@pt0r

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone had asked that I share a lttle more detail on "popping" the speaker grills out. I didn't take any pictures of the removal, but this forum thread has some good pictures.

speaker grill removal - Ford F150 Forum

You can remove the grill without removing the door panel, BUT be aware that the grill is flimsy and will bend if you're not careful. If you look at the pictures in the attached thread you'll notice that the front of the grill has hooks that slip behind the panel while the top, bottom, and rear have clips. I used a flat blade screwdriver and carefully popped the grill out starting at the rear and working around the bottom. Eventually the grill will detach at the rear clips. Work the grill out from there, be careful not bend the grill. Once you have it out remove the "SONY" emblem by straighting the pins on the back and pulling the emblem out. I used a satin or semi-gloss black paint. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up I need something to do tomorrow anyways haha guess this quick little mod will be it I'm with you on the shiny cover doesn't go with the truck at all!

OP
OP
R@pt0r

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you bend the edges you can straighten them out with a pair of pliers.

IPvFletch

Reaction score
Great post and great info R@ptor!!

Any updates Pat? I'm so going to do this now that 2 ppl have confirmed it is possible (despite the other forum having 10 people state it was not possible). In fact, now I'm driven to do this just to spite them (oh and I want to re-color them). :)

So is the best method to pull the rearward portion off first and work your way forward?

Also the same grill cover is used on the Sony setup yes?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R@pt0r

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Start at the middle of the rear and work around to the bottom. The front does not have a clip, but rather slips into the door panel. So the rear comes out first. Try to pry on in the locations that have the clips because they are less prone to bending. I decided to not remove the door panel because that presents a whole other set of problems. I would say try it and if the grill doesn't pop out easily then pull the door panel. I'd think the grills are the same for both Sony and non-Sony systems.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
here ya go guys! i went with a graphite mica color didn't want just a plain black this should look pretty good in the truck they're drying right now so ill snap some pics tomorrow and put them up.

these panels literally took me like 5 seconds to pop out very easy as you can see from the first pic start in the center of the rear and once that end pops out you should be able to slide it right out of there.

Attachments

• photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 318
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 278
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 260
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg