Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Painted/Powder Coated Lower Control Arms

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Exterior Forum [GEN 2]' started by Vegas_Sirk, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk Full Access Member

Hi Guys,

Anyone paint or powder coat their lower control arms? I was looking at aftermarket bumpers and was thinking how much more I like them with aftermarket suspension kits, but realized its because the lower arms are black and dont stick out as much.

2. Badgertits

Badgertits Full Access Member

It’s doable, but some things to consider would be:

Cost- you more than likely can’t be done w/o removing the bushings/ball joints which means replacement of those as well. Add that plus labor to remove & reinstall (if not doing yourself) aftermarket may make sense.

Fit- powder coating is a heavy coat, can effect tight tolerances, if doable would want to make sure no coating goes on the inside of bolt/ball joint/bushing holes.

Heat- if the arms can be coated w/ the bushings/ball joints in place need to also be careful of the heat during curing in oven- could melt/degrade these components OR even if removed some AL alloys are sensitive to heat treating & can weaken the part- in the case of the raptor I don’t think that would be an issue but worth checking.

Simpler may be - removing but instead of powdercoat have them painted, anodized, linexd, or (my favorite) done in a cerakote like used in firearms can do different colors & doubles as surface protectant makes cleaning very easy.

Cheap way out- good tape/mask job & use plastidip or spray can paint/clear.....I mean they’re just a-arms

3. Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk Full Access Member

The cerakote option is a good idea. same with linexd. I know its a lot of work just to have black lower arms.

waveslayer and Badgertits like this.
  4. John Rathjen

John Rathjen SWATDOC Supporting Member