Paint Defect and Scratch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one in the fender flare would be of no concern to me. A little wax and it would be gone. The other I don't know. Might consider a fix. Its so small. Would hate to see the fix look worse than the original flaw. Blending and all. Would depend on who did it. Good paint shops can do amazing stuff.

Sam

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The interior dash was scratched in 3 places on my 18 with 15 miles on it. No way to fix it but replace the dash. My center console was installed crooked from the factory and my headlight trim was no installed properly. The install clips where bent from the factory. I had to install washers behind it to make the clips snap in place. And I have several paint nibs as well. I would rate Ford quality 4 of 10. It's not even close my Lexus but cost the same. Only reason I bought it was for the resale value and drive train. It's basically expensive junk.

Raptor Tony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The interior dash was scratched in 3 places on my 18 with 15 miles on it. No way to fix it but replace the dash. My center console was installed crooked from the factory and my headlight trim was no installed properly. The install clips where bent from the factory. I had to install washers behind it to make the clips snap in place. And I have several paint nibs as well. I would rate Ford quality 4 of 10. It's not even close my Lexus but cost the same. Only reason I bought it was for the resale value and drive train. It's basically expensive junk.
Yep. I’m looking a clip that holds the engine heat shield cloth to the underside of the hood. Also my center consul came with some scratches on it. Terrible quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hard to tell how deep that nick goes, OP. I'd wager you could sand that out, but find a good body shop to do it for you (they are rare, make them show you their work). The risk of course is sanding through your clear, which would require rebasing the area, and then reclearing. Very few shops are competent enough to spot blend (even tho it is easy) and even fewer would blend clear properly/effectively. They'd push for a full panel reclear, which means they are detrimming your fender, which means they can damage it. Don't ask me how I know...

If it needs a repaint anyway, you can either risk having a body shop do it (on Ford's dime) or do it yourself with spray cans. I wish I had done this myself rather than trusting two different body shops to do a decent job. You can get a perfect blend (excepting maybe orange peel) doing it this way, but you'd have to learn how and take the time to do it, and any problems are on you at this point.

I'd say your best bet is to find a high-dollar paint shop and have Ford pay up.

Sounds like you got a bad deal. My truck was flawless inside and out except for a microscopic dirt nibble on the driver's side rear fender, near the bed trim. Oh, and a scratch by the gas cap the idiot who gassed it up left for me. That said, given how poorly my interior has held up even with my babying it, I'd have to concede you are right about it being expensive junk. You breathe on the interior plastic and it scratches. My driver's seat headrest mount holes are showing from under the mounts now. Rather frustrating.

Had to send back three driver's door panels after the last shop screwed mine up....somehow they were even worse out of the box. Second one had a tear through the leather clean through.