Paint Correction & Ceramic Coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How long does the ceramic coat usually last?
Some say it will last 5 to 9 years.. not sure I buy that. I would say 3 is probably more realistic and it also matters how the truck is washed and taken care of, obviously.. just think of it as a super high tech wax.. the water beads off nicely polished clear coat too..

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some say it will last 5 to 9 years.. not sure I buy that. I would say 3 is probably more realistic and it also matters how the truck is washed and taken care of, obviously.. just think of it as a super high tech wax.. the water beads off nicely polished clear coat too..
Right, I mentioned elsewhere already but I've always just waxed regularly and seen good results. I'd be curious to try a ceramic coating but some of the costs I've seen mentioned are north of $1K. I think that's a non-starter for me

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't it build up if you keep applying it?
Adams claims their advanced spray coating is good for 18 months, I re-apply every six months. You can build a few layers when applying. I always add two twice a year. In between I use a top coat or drying aid.
When I re-apply I wash with strip wash which only removes oil and wax’s and non ceramic coatings. I they apply the prep solution, 30% alcohol is all it is. I then apply a coat, buff it good and let it sit for four hours and then apply another coat of ceramic. Easy and cost effective way. 100 bucks, maybe
Let’s be honest, a professionally applied coat will last longer. Speaking from experience, it not worth it. Plus, read the warranty, most will need inspected annually at a few hundred bucks, you have to use a top coat every wash, sometimes only their brand. If you have a small rock chip, you are required to have it repaired and the repair re-coated to maintain the warranty.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right, I mentioned elsewhere already but I've always just waxed regularly and seen good results. I'd be curious to try a ceramic coating but some of the costs I've seen mentioned are north of $1K. I think that's a non-starter for me

if you wax your own vehicle, im sure you are capable of applying adams ceramic..

i did it in 3 hours roughly, after i polished the truck for about 8hrs, with some beer breaks..

its wild what some of these detail shops are getting pricewise, and im sure the results are phenomenal, but im capable, and who doesn't want to rub on their truck a bit?

ive always said that i couldn't afford to do most of my hobbies if i had to pay someone else to do all the upgrades and maintenance.

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did my truck with Adams advanced ceramic coating. Paint correction takes the most time for sure. The coating was easy to apply. Definitely recommend doing it in a garage or out of direct sunlight.

Disclaimer: I detailed cars for a living about 30 years ago and still enjoy doing my own cars. It is definitely therapy for me.

willywilson

Reaction score
It's not difficult at all to apply yourself. From wash to top coat I spent about 8-9 hours on the truck. As mentioned the prep is the real work- wash, spray with iron decor, clay towel, rinse, polish, panel wipe x2 to remove polish residue, ceramic coat x2, and finally top coat. I use cquartz uk and reload.

Rappin37

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I invested in a California cover since I don’t have a garage, not cheap but a great cover.

RollTigers

Reaction score
I ceramic coated my 2023 Raptor this past week and it looks amazing. As someone said earlier, SAVE THE MONEY AND DO IT YOURSELF! I used to use Maguires Ultimate Paste Wax on my past vehicles. And it takes a lot longer to wax a car then ceramic coating I felt.

I watched a ton of YouTube videos and went with Adams Advanced Graphene coating I did both my Raptor and my wife’s Mach 1 including all the paint, glass, rubber and plastic. I didn’t do the tires. I use 3D Tire Shine on those. I used (2) 60 ml glass bottles total on both vehicles. I probably saved 2000-2500 dollars doing it myself. Super easy!IMG_7551.png