P0741 mystery and thoughts ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
IMG_0039.jpg

I'm a proud owner of this Ruby Red 2014 Ford Raptor. I ordered this truck New back in 2014. I have had no issues with this Raptor which currently has 135,000 miles on it. All maintenance has been preformed like clockwork. This truck has been great and I plan on keeping it forever. Now the Question:

Last week I got in the truck and fired it up. When I put it in reverse to back out of the driveway, it began making a grinding noise. Put it in Neutral - No noise. But the noise continued in all gears. I drove it slowly to my local Ford dealership and it had a P0741 code (torque converter clutch solenoid). They could not get the truck in for 2 weeks, so I scheduled the appointment. I then left and stopped by 2 other mechanic shops to find out what I needed to do and they all said that they would have to drop the pan and find out what they see but could not get to it for about a week or so. Here is the interesting part, I stopped by my local auto parts store on the way home and my friend there gave me a bottle of this transmission seafom stuff. He told me to go home a put this in the transmission and then go dirve the truck. Well off I went home to try this as I really had nothing to loose waiting on my appointment with Ford.

I couldn't remove the transmission dipstick on the passengers sid under the truck because It was tight and I just couldn't get to it - I didn't have the correct tools and it was a bad angle. So I popped the hood and loosened one of the transmission cooling lines and poured the whole bottle into the transmission. I reattached the hose cranked the truck and when through all the gears in the driveway and within 2 minutes - no grinding noise. I then went out on the road and ran the truck both in automatic and manual mode and no griding noise and truck is shifting just fine. It's been 3-4 days of steady driving and no noise. it is still popping the wrench up from time to time but after I shut it of it goes away. It is very spiritic but no noise and it its shifting up and down through all 6 gears just fine now.

i still have it scheduled for a transmission service. I just wanted to get this great groups opinion on this.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie
MonsterK-9.comIMG_0039.jpg

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Best guess is you were low on fluid and that brought the level back up to an acceptable level. Get yourself a 3/4" box end wrench and do a proper fluid level check. I'll be interested to see what the teardown reveals.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Best guess is you were low on fluid and that brought the level back up to an acceptable level. Get yourself a 3/4" box end wrench and do a proper fluid level check. I'll be interested to see what the teardown reveals.

Good suggestion.

OP - Be sure to closely inspect all of your transmission cooler lines for signs of wetness/leaks, especially at the crimp connections. What may appear to be a minor seep can result in significant fluid loss over time.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, congrats on a beautiful Raptor. Have you had the lead frame replaced yet?

OP
OP
MONSTERCANINEFLA
Reaction score
Glad to be a part of a great group. I have Raptor scheduled this Monday for a Transmission Service, I guess we will find out then. At the moment truck is running and shifting fine and no noise, but still throwing the P0741 code. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Thanks again for having me.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good suggestion.

OP - Be sure to closely inspect all of your transmission cooler lines for signs of wetness/leaks, especially at the crimp connections. What may appear to be a minor seep can result in significant fluid loss over time.

Just happened to me on my pinion seal. I had been smelling gear oil for a while but never saw any spots. Just thought it might’ve been old. Eventually I noticed my driveway was stained and wet. The entire underside of my truck was coated.

I opened up the diff and it was probably 3/4 of an inch low.

Make sure to look.