P0442 & p0456

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RRR2012

Reaction score
Good Morning, I have an appointment at the Dealership for P0442 & P0456.

The P0442 shows it's after a few drives followed by the 0456: Check Engine light.

Has anyone been down this road? Truck runs great.

CEL- Check fuel fillet inlet & Check Engine. 1 permanent.

Best,

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the capless fuel system is leaking a bit.

P0442 OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak) What does that mean? The vehicle's PCM (powertrain control module) tests the evaporative emissions (EVAP) system for large and small leaks among other conditions. In the case of this DTC, it indicates a fuel vapor leak in the EVAP control system. It means a very small leak has been detected. In fact, the leak can be from a hole as small as 0.04" in diameter. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine. Symptoms The only thing you will notice is the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) a.k.a. Check Engine Light will be illuminated. You likely won't notice any drivability problems although sometimes a fuel odor may be noticed. Causes A code P0442 most likely means one or more of the following has happened: A loose or improperly affixed gas cap A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand) A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube Other small leak in EVAP system Faulty vent o-ring seal Defective vent valve Defective purge valve Defective leak detection pump Possible Solutions With a P0442, the most common repair is to: Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back. Otherwise, replace the gas cap (we recommend an OEM not aftermarket part), or Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses More advanced troubleshooting steps include: Using an advanced scan tool, perform an EVAP leak test Verify operation of the EVAP purge solenoid / valve Perform a smoke test to see where the leak is Generally there are vehicle and model specific procedures for proper diagnosis of this DTC. Sources: About.com Other EVAP DTCs: P0440 - P0441 -P0443 - P0444 - P0445 - P0446 - P0447 - P0448 - P0449 - P0452 - P0453 - P0455 - P0456 Register now to ask a question (free) Related P0442 DTC Discussions P0440 and P0442 codes on 2002 cavalier I am looking at buying a 2002 chevy cavalier and it shows P0440 and P0442 error codes. I am curious if this will be flagged when tested for emissions in Wisconsin. Thanks BT... 2001 Volvo p0133 p0302 and p0442 p0133, p0302, p0442 what do these codes mean and how much would it cost to repair?... 01 Ram 1500 5.2L p0442 & p0455 p0442 and p0455 , ran smoke test found leak - performed evap test and passed on several occasions after repair but still getting codes after driving vehicle. any suggestions... 2001 f150 4.6L OBDII P0442 Code PO442... 2004 gmc Yukon keeps kicking off when trying to pump gas in p0442 having a problem pumping gas in a 2004 gmc Yukon denali xl 1500 normally wants to keep shutting off, if there was a solenoid problem shouldn't it trip a trouble code?... Need more help with a p0442 code? If you still need help regarding the P0442 trouble code, please post your question in our FREE car repair forums. Share NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected. If you want to share this article or information with others, please link to this page, don't copy and paste it elsewhere. © 2004-2015 OBD-Codes.com

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good Morning, I have an appointment at the Dealership for P0442 & P0456.

The P0442 shows it's after a few drives followed by the 0456: Check Engine light...

I'm glad you'll be visiting the dealership for this soon, RRR2012. What's your Raptor's model year/mileage? I'll do what I can to help out.

Crystal

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Crystal,
Dealer ship recommends replacement of Fuel fill inlet. 2012 45K...

Hi RRR2012,

Thanks for the update. If you'd like, I can arrange for your regional customer service manager to reach out; they'll work with your dealer to ensure this gets resolved. If that's something you'd be interested in, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same error displayed on my dash at start up now.

Hi 2manytrucks,

Have you had your dealer check out that error message yet? What's your truck's model year/mileage? I'll be happy to do what I can to assist.

Crystal

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem but this is my 2nd go around with this issue, but this time it's out of warranty since I almost have 50K mi on my 2011. I took it in yesterday but they were unable to test it correctly since I had a full tank of gas. Hopefully by Friday I'll have a half a tank & they'll be able to test it correctly. I told the mechanic we know damn well it's the capless fuel filler system so why not press on with replacing it. He went through standard BS answer..., I really didn't want to hear. So I said okay I'll bring it back on Friday (my day off) with less than a half a tank. My understanding is that emissions are covered for 100K miles. Anybody know if that's a true statement? I know the 2013 on up have a revised capless fuel filler system, so if they replace mine, they need to do it with the newer version.

I'm getting tired of funnel ******* my Raptor everytime I see "check fuel filler inlet".:mad:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem but this is my 2nd go around with this issue, but this time it's out of warranty since I almost have 50K mi on my 2011. I took it in yesterday but they were unable to test it correctly since I had a full tank of gas. Hopefully by Friday I'll have a half a tank & they'll be able to test it correctly. I told the mechanic we know damn well it's the capless fuel filler system so why not press on with replacing it. He went through standard BS answer..., I really didn't want to hear. So I said okay I'll bring it back on Friday (my day off) with less than a half a tank. My understanding is that emissions are covered for 100K miles. Anybody know if that's a true statement? I know the 2013 on up have a revised capless fuel filler system, so if they replace mine, they need to do it with the newer version.

I'm getting tired of funnel ******* my Raptor everytime I see "check fuel filler inlet".:mad:
If you look in the owners manual it clearly states emissions are 8 years unlimited mileage I think, it's been awhile since I read the manual, that's from memory. Take a look!

---------- Post added at 05:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 AM ----------

If you look in the owners manual it clearly states emissions are 8 years unlimited mileage I think, it's been awhile since I read the manual, that's from memory. Take a look!

---------- Post added at 05:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 AM ----------

I have no idea why this repeated itself?