GEN 1 P0430 Error, not long after Roush SC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had my Roush SC installed for about 2,000 miles and everything seems fine. A couple days ago I noticed a rattle which appears to coincide with engine RPM. From a previous problem on a Ram, I thought it sounded like a catalytic converter that's gone south. Now, my truck just threw the P0430 error (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2). This makes me think I'm right and my cat is toast.

First, do you think this is related to my Roush SC?

Second, do I take it to the dealer or the Roush place? I have about 52K miles, it's a 2012, and I do have an extended warranty.

There are two cats, right? Do I replace them both? What should I replace them with? I haven't done full headers yet, just a magnaflow exhaust. I intend to go to full headers, but I have too much house stuff soaking up funds at the moment to pull the trigger on that.

Thanks for any advice!

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, so far the dealer says to bring it in on Wednesday (today is Monday) and they'll replace it under the 5 year/60K warranty. They don't seem to take issue with the new SC.
This is good news. I'd rather not pay for a new cat (which would end up being two cats since I'd go aftermarket) that I plan to replace in the near year or so with headers anyway. I'll report how the actual warranty experience goes when it happens.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cats have an 80k epa required warranty

Now that you say that, that sounds very familiar. Seems that I should be good either way as long as they don't freak about the SC (which they've already said is fine).

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Current update... dealer is giving my grief due to the JDM tune on it. Or rather, they're actually trying, but say that Ford won't warranty it due to the programming. They let me come reset it to stock (interesting with a supercharger) and they're going to see what the diagnostics say....

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, Ford is saying no dice on the bad cat because I've changed the tune (and thereby the emissions control apparently, required for the Roush Supercharger.). So much for the EPA mandated 80K warranty?

Is this worth fighting? We all know it's not the damned tune - it's a bad cat. Even the guy at the dealership admits it, but he can't do anything.

This is the JDM tune. Thoughts @JimIII@JDM @FordService ?

Next question, if I have to go aftermarket, what should I go with?

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, Ford is saying no dice on the bad cat because I've changed the tune (and thereby the emissions control apparently, required for the Roush Supercharger.). So much for the EPA mandated 80K warranty?

Is this worth fighting? We all know it's not the damned tune - it's a bad cat. Even the guy at the dealership admits it, but he can't do anything.

This is the JDM tune. Thoughts @JimIII@JDM @FordService ?

My guess is the cat was faulty prior to the blower install and the additional heat and air flow cooked its goose. Your best bet is to invest in a high flow header system with free flowing cats that will lower EGT's over 200*F and resolve this issue. The best aftermarket cat and header system for your truck is Kooks.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

I have a boat load of stock cat pipes in our shed but shipping is going to be expensive. See if any local Raptor guys have headers and saved their cat system.

JimIII

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My guess is the cat was faulty prior to the blower install and the additional heat and air flow cooked its goose. Your best bet is to invest in a high flow header system with free flowing cats that will lower EGT's over 200*F and resolve this issue. The best aftermarket cat and header system for your truck is Kooks.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

I have a boat load of stock cat pipes in our shed but shipping is going to be expensive. See if any local Raptor guys have headers and saved their cat system.

JimIII

I want to go full headers, but after the SC I just don't have it in the budget right now. I need to fix that cat now though. I'm going to have to install aftermarket cats (2), but I'm not sure which ones to go with.

tahitiansoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weld some straight pipes in replacement and delete the 2 after cat Oxygen sensors with a tune. When money permits, headers