Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011SVT

Reaction score
Hi all, long time reader here first time poster. Just bought an '11 SCREW in December and love my truck. Found it pretty much stock and started my build pretty soon after. Looking for some guidance on some issues I've been having to see if anyone has experienced them before. Truck has 137,00 miles.

I installed a K&N CAI and Dirty Deeds 20" exhaust in February and March respectively and decided to get a tune to bring it together. After a lot of research, I went with JDM. Heard a lot of good things about their customer service and tune itself.

A day after running the JDM tune, the CEL came on and threw the P0430 code for the bank 2 converter. Also experiencing an extremely hard shift from 2nd to 3rd at medium load and WOT (neck snapping hard). Contacted JDM and they feel the converter is the issue, I feel like it's too coincidental for the light to go on after the tune install, even if the converter is on it's way out. And the harsh shift JDM also says could be a converter issue. Brought it into the shop for a second opinion and they said the converter does need to be replaced. Still seems real coincidental to me.

Something I noticed, running in T/H mode on the JDM tune gives the DD exhaust a sweet crackle and pop on downshifts but I'm wondering if that rich of an A/F mixture is throwing the P0430 code?

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! Even if I swap the converter, I don't want the code to be an on going issue. And I've asked JDM to adjust the shift between 2nd and 3rd, but like I said they think it could be the converter and we are waiting to see if the swap makes a difference.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you do all the SCT Device firmware updates before loading the Tune on it?

It could be the rear O2 sensor is getting old, maybe.
The dirty Deeds is letting cold fresh oxygenated air getting in all the way to the converter that's why your hearing the popping and this could be a contributing factor why you're throwing the code.
The AFR should always be 14 +/- .1 and goes down to 12 when at WOT

I copied this from engine-code.com

P0430 FORD Meaning​

The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the switching frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 (front O2 sensor) and heated oxygen sensors 2 (rear O2 sensor).
A three-way catalyst converter (Manifold) with high oxygen storage capacity will indicate a low switching frequency of heated oxygen sensor 2. As oxygen storage capacity decreases, the heated oxygen sensor 2 switching frequency will increase.
When the frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 and 2 approaches a specified limit value, the three-way catalyst malfunction is diagnosed.

OP
OP
2011SVT

2011SVT

Reaction score
Did you do all the SCT Device firmware updates before loading the Tune on it?

It could be the rear O2 sensor is getting old, maybe.
The dirty Deeds is letting cold fresh oxygenated air getting in all the way to the converter that's why your hearing the popping and this could be a contributing factor why you're throwing the code.
The AFR should always be 14 +/- .1 and goes down to 12 when at WOT

I copied this from engine-code.com

P0430 FORD Meaning​

The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the switching frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 (front O2 sensor) and heated oxygen sensors 2 (rear O2 sensor).
A three-way catalyst converter (Manifold) with high oxygen storage capacity will indicate a low switching frequency of heated oxygen sensor 2. As oxygen storage capacity decreases, the heated oxygen sensor 2 switching frequency will increase.
When the frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 and 2 approaches a specified limit value, the three-way catalyst malfunction is diagnosed.

I did all the SCT updating before loading the tune, yes. That makes sense about the dirty deeds, but I figured the popping and then the CEL would have been just as pronounced before the tune, but both happened after tune, so that's why I thought maybe it was a little rich and causing the cat code. Just driving me nuts at this point! All too coincidental to the tune

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did all the SCT updating before loading the tune, yes. That makes sense about the dirty deeds, but I figured the popping and then the CEL would have been just as pronounced before the tune, but both happened after tune, so that's why I thought maybe it was a little rich and causing the cat code. Just driving me nuts at this point! All too coincidental to the tune
Well the Tune does add more fuel and air while still maintaining a AFR of 14, but I don't think I've heard anybody else throwing that code after a Dirty Deeds install, this is why I mention the O2.

Spark plugs new?

I also suggest going back to the stock Tune and then doing a battery reset for 15 min or more if you like and reloading the JDM Tune.
Also make sure everything is off daytime running lights, radio, climate control and don't open or close doors while flashing or operate anything.
Even check your battery voltage anything below 12.7 volts when the truck is off can cause issues.
If you have too, put a charger on at the lowest setting while Tuning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2011SVT

2011SVT

Reaction score
Spark plugs are fairly new, the previous owner put them in about 15,000 mi ago.

I might go ahead and do the reload with the battery reset, I appreciate it.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pop and crackle on decel is due to DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) enable speed and timing retard out of power. Its a tuning choice, nothing to do with "too rich" fueling.

If you think its the tune causing the shift problem, unload the tune, drive it again. If it alleviates the problem let the tuner know.

OP
OP
2011SVT

2011SVT

Reaction score
Pop and crackle on decel is due to DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) enable speed and timing retard out of power. Its a tuning choice, nothing to do with "too rich" fueling.

If you think its the tune causing the shift problem, unload the tune, drive it again. If it alleviates the problem let the tuner know.
Thanks for the info, that makes sense. Sounds like the issue may really be the cat or O2 sensor.

Unloading and reloading is my next step, appreciate it