Overtemp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 and had the cam phasers done about 2 months ago and very similar condition afterwards, it would get up to 238 just passing someone on a 50 deg day.
Fordtechone noted in another thread about thermostat, as the phaser dealer didn't know....jogged my memory about removing and reinstalled thermostats not functioning fully, so I swapped my thermostat and viola, fixed!

Since I occasionally tow over mountain passes I went with an OE 180 deg thermostat....a mustang gt350 180 deg is OE temp

deblas

Reaction score
I have a 2018 and had the cam phasers done about 2 months ago and very similar condition afterwards, it would get up to 238 just passing someone on a 50 deg day.
Fordtechone noted in another thread about thermostat, as the phaser dealer didn't know....jogged my memory about removing and reinstalled thermostats not functioning fully, so I swapped my thermostat and viola, fixed!

Since I occasionally tow over mountain passes I went with an OE 180 deg thermostat....a mustang gt350 180 deg is OE temp
Hey jimmyjamm....like you experienced, I see temps into the mid-230s (no warning lights/alarms) and am not comfortable with these high temps, regardless if it is "normal".
Question on the 180 t-stat, did you do anything to change the radiator fan on-off temps and what are you regularly seeing for temps in city & hwy driving?
Thanks

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey jimmyjamm....like you experienced, I see temps into the mid-230s (no warning lights/alarms) and am not comfortable with these high temps, regardless if it is "normal".
Question on the 180 t-stat, did you do anything to change the radiator fan on-off temps and what are you regularly seeing for temps in city & hwy driving?
Thanks
I did nothing but change the thermostat, which brought down the operating temp slightly on the gauge (about 1mm in temp line thickness) and that's it.
As for regularly seeing in city & hwy, I don't know, other than I don't see any concerns when passing on a hot day, towing other than over a long and steep mountain pass, and only get a temp that shows up over 226 deg when towing this summer over a mountain pass, which I can easily manage with manual shifting to lower the boost (the boost generates a ton of heat, so by downshifting one gear it increases the RPMs and subsequently reduces the boost and operating temps).

deblas

Reaction score
I did nothing but change the thermostat, which brought down the operating temp slightly on the gauge (about 1mm in temp line thickness) and that's it.
As for regularly seeing in city & hwy, I don't know, other than I don't see any concerns when passing on a hot day, towing other than over a long and steep mountain pass, and only get a temp that shows up over 226 deg when towing this summer over a mountain pass, which I can easily manage with manual shifting to lower the boost (the boost generates a ton of heat, so by downshifting one gear it increases the RPMs and subsequently reduces the boost and operating temps).
Thanks for the feedback Jimmyjamm....
Since asking that question, I've got a hold of the Forscan module and made a few changes, including adding the numerical display above the engine temp gauge. This is so much better, knowing where I am at on the heat spectrum and will be a great tool when doing any towing and such. Yep...about a millimeter difference translates to about 25~30 degrees on the numerical.
I am commonly riding between 188-194 city driving and everytime I put it in the garage I am now at 190, not 215-220.
Once I opt for a tune, I will look into addressing the fan control for the 180 t-stat, but for now, I think it will be just fine.

slow_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was experiencing same issue with temps at 234 degrees and warning lights. I swapped my thermostat to a 170 unit and this helped with all my issues.

sfemti33

Reaction score
FYI, had the same issue as yours after phasers in my 2018. Dealership put in the new, updated thermostat which didn't fix it. They did the water pump next (with vacuum fill coolant). Didn't fix it. Now there with a radiator replacement so we shall see. All under my extended warranty so covered. But I feel your pain. Let us know if you find a good fix.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not great news. I wish I would have been able to see actual temps prior to phasers because there is part of me that is afraid of getting into the situation you are describing where none of them fix the concern. I just dont remember it running that warm prior to phaser replacement when i was towing.... Hope I'm not crazy here.

sfemti33

Reaction score
Thats not great news. I wish I would have been able to see actual temps prior to phasers because there is part of me that is afraid of getting into the situation you are describing where none of them fix the concern. I just dont remember it running that warm prior to phaser replacement when i was towing.... Hope I'm not crazy here.
Fyi, new radiator fixed my issue