overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Voodoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, yesterday I took my Raptor to work so on the way home I could take Glamis sand highway home and have a little fun. Speed was around 50 mph from Glamis store to the ranger station and halfway there, around Osborne overlook I was almost pegged on my temp gauge. This is the second time I have had this happen in the last few weeks. Any other trucks getting that hot right now??

I posted a vid in the media section last week of a light run threw a local spot and had the truck do the same thing. Between the ****** shift points and overheating i am about to quit recommending the Raptor to people who ask.

My other 4x4's never gave me the problems this one has in the heat.

Like Mike Thomas use to say to me "You have lived in the Valley to long and the sun has affected your brain", am I expecting too much???

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I overheated mine a few times on the Raptor Run this past weekend. Every time it involved doing a lot of wheel spin in 2wd. I would simply throw it into 4wd and slow down. I could watch my temp gauge start getting up, quit running high RPM's, put it back into drive and quit taking every corner sideways and it would cool down. Overheating is going to happen when it is over 100f with Antifreeze in the radiator. The Shelby GT500's are infamous for doing this. We upgraded the radiator, dropped in a lower thermostat (if not just removed it), run distilled water and Water Wetter. Antifreeze sucks for cooling. Think about it. ANTI-FREEZE. It is not supposed to freeze. Straight water is better than antifreeze when it is hot out.

There were points this past weekend where it was over 105f.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I don't feel as bad anymore that it runs so hot. Still dont like the pos tranny in the sand but i guess i am just spoiled :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I manually shift in the sand. 2nd around tight corners, 3-4th rest of the time.

gotSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran water wetter and distiller water on raptor run 1. I noticed a big difference in the trans temp vs. without it even with warmer weather. 90s with 70s without. It took longer to start to overheat and cooled down faster. I also spent some time cleaning bugs out of the radiator too.

Rat

Reaction score
I ran water wetter and distiller water on raptor run 1. I noticed a big difference in the trans temp vs. without it even with warmer weather. 90s with 70s without. It took longer to start to overheat and cooled down faster. I also spent some time cleaning bugs out of the radiator too.

Is that the Red line product ? looks good
Is it the trans temp that is the problem ?
The stock trans cooler is pretty small, maybe an additional trans cooler ?
And are you running the AIR CONDITIONER ? ? that makes heat
How about aux fan/s Desert racers use many coolers and fans ? ?

Last edited:

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I made that run on Sand Hwy from Glamis to Gordon's a few times but never had my coolant temp rise, it wasn't in summer time heat though either. I have been out in my local spots in the middle of summer (105-112 degrees) and flogged on it without my coolant temp even budging, a/c blasting the whole time.....was quite impressed actually. I have seen my trans temp gauge rise pretty good before but it was only when I was in ORM, I then took it out of ORM, drove for a while till it was back to normal, then put it back in ORM and it was fine again. But as SPRSNK said, water will cool better than anti-freeze.

OP
OP
V

Voodoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have ran water wetter before and just plain water in my offroad trucks and wont do water wetter again. might have been just too hot for a black truck, AC full board and 4x4 flogging it in the dunes. next time you head out to glamis hit me up, i am always looking for a excuse to head out there and am only 30 min away. GLAMIS, WELCOME TO MY BACKYARD :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I manually shift in the sand. 2nd around tight corners, 3-4th rest of the time.

Yeah I do the same thing, minus 4th since I only have 1-3. Awhile back I had mine out in a huge dry river bed and was running it real hard, and it heated up pretty good. I just slowed it down and in a few minutes everything was ok again. It was something like 110F out that day, so I didn't really feel like it was the truck's fault.