Overheating with Full Race Intercooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good lord. There's nothing wrong with the Full Race IC. It's a massive improvement over stock. The OP was towing a boat up a mountain in the Arizona heat for pete's sake.

******* Raptor owners, man. Poorest bunch of rich guys I've ever seen. Got $2 grand for an intercooler but can't scratch up $700 for a bigger radiator.

That said, check out the Wagner intercooler if you want to stay with the stock location. It's a very high quality piece (it's just in the wrong spot if you actually want to do Raptor stuff).

wjn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford knows what they are doing when it comes to cooling. They put the IC where it needed to be for this setup.

https://youtu.be/PDfaqpqe--c

Nice marketing video. Anyway you can see at some points in the video that the engine is revving high, which it should.

Good lord. There's nothing wrong with the Full Race IC. It's a massive improvement over stock. The OP was towing a boat up a mountain in the Arizona heat for pete's sake.

******* Raptor owners, man. Poorest bunch of rich guys I've ever seen. Got $2 grand for an intercooler but can't scratch up $700 for a bigger radiator.

That said, check out the Wagner intercooler if you want to stay with the stock location. It's a very high quality piece (it's just in the wrong spot if you actually want to do Raptor stuff).

I did not read anywhere the "TOW MODE" was engaged.
Common problem with overheating in the mountains is lugging / to low on revs / waterpump does not flow enough liquid through the radiator.

yeayeaatou

Reaction score

I contacted full race about there IC and they said moving it makes it a better design. I live in ohio and dont plan on towing that much, I didnt put this truck to tow stuff with.

I trust full race, they make great products. The manifolds they make are best in the industry

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I read this whole thread and OP never gave any additional feedback so I assume he figured it out after the upper light strip was removed, or maybe he hasn’t towed again yet.

I’d just get the radiator, and see if could keep the lights in place since he was so adiment about keeping them. I wouldn’t want to live on the edge of heat soaking if a radiator would keep temps way down. That’s just my way of looking at it and removing the air restriction (light bars) would obviously be the first method of remedy followed by larger radiator just to see if could reinstall them later. I personally don’t want lights there so not a personal issue.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted full race about there IC and they said moving it makes it a better design. I live in ohio and dont plan on towing that much, I didnt put this truck to tow stuff with.

I trust full race, they make great products. The manifolds they make are best in the industry

It is a better design, for the intercooler. When Ford spec’d the entire cooling system, including engine and transmission oil, they made some assumptions with total cross section, weight, grade, ambient temperature, speed etc. If they said it can tow 8,000 pounds then they surely took the truck out to the desert and hauled such loads up and down grades during the searing summer heat and carefully monitored all those temperatures. If during those tests the ambient temp was 116° that day then THAT is what each heat exchanger had entering before it was expected to cool its associated component. Turbo discharge temps can soar up to nearly 200 degrees under continuous load, more boost increases exhaust which spins the turbo faster which increases the inlet temperature. This increases would continue until detonation took over and the entire engine let go. The intercooler is of such size to maintain the air intake charge at a stable value vs increasing. That being said, even in a stable system, the discharge air from the intercooler will be hot, maybe even average out to 140-150° across the unit. NOW your cooling systems are working with 140-150° cooling air vs the 116° we spoke of earlier. It is possible with enough frontal cross section (horsepower offsetting drag) that enough boost is required to exceed the cooling capacity of the engine oil, transmission or the cooling system in general.

Unless Full Race installed their kit and tested the cooling capacity under the conditions Ford did then it is simply not an entirely accurate statement on their part. Improved in the sense of more cooling area, lower intake temperatures and good enough for 95% of us that don’t “work” these things up grades in searing Summer heat? Yes. For those of us working these things we just won’t know until you try, you have an untested platform at that point.

I have towed my 9,500# boat up 6% grades in 100F at 74 mph with A LOT of boost for durations that lasting nearly five minutes and NOTHING changed on any of the gauges. But I had 100° cooling air entering the engine compartment, not 140-150° air.

Caveat: I don’t have an oil temperature gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
roostinyfz

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So sorry to be slow to follow up. I did finally get a chance to haul the same boat up to Powell 2 weekends ago with the truck without the lightbars or any bracketry installed. I don't get a chance to go to Lake Powell all the time so I wanted to a chance to do it again before responding. The ambient temperatures was 12 degrees cooler and my load was probably almost 1000lbs lighter. The truck coolant still hit 255 degrees. Didn't go in to limp mode but was less than 1 degree from doing so. I did use tow haul mode and had no tune on the truck both times. So I would say the lightbar had little to no effect on the cooling ability of the truck the intercooler absolutely does. I am afraid I need a bigger radiator! Now which radiator is best?

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still stuck on the possibility of the stock thermostat being faulty and not opening all the way. It's cheap and super easy to swap to a lower temp Tstat.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm still stuck on the possibility of the stock thermostat being faulty and not opening all the way. It's cheap and super easy to swap to a lower temp Tstat.
Agreed. If I were in the OP's situation, I would spend the $50 to see.

zhengyucoo

Reaction score
My truck was showing as high as 240 and ranging from 230 to 240 when I was stepping down on the gas at highway speed (65-75miles) to do some quick acceleration. Ambient temp is around 70-90. Factory intercooler.