Overheating with Full Race Intercooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Raptor with a full race intercooler and ADD pro front bumper, pulling a 23' wakeboard boat up to Lake Powell last week and I saw coolant temperatures of 258 degrees and went into limp mode a few times. My truck was tuned stock. I believe it just needs more airflow and am thinking of cutting a big hole in the skidplate, and perhaps opening up the grille by taking out the honeycomb like the GT500's. Was wondering if anyone has any experience, or advice to get the coolant temps down. I know Full Race has a bigger radiator that will drop in. What about an oil cooler? Thx

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are your normal highest non towing temps? I haven't heard of anyone overheating due to the full race IC - I've got one myself and haven't noticed anything unusual altough I haven't towed yet with it. I think I'd be inclined to swap the thermostat to a 170 and see if that helps before I got extreme.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Raptor with a full race intercooler and ADD pro front bumper, pulling a 23' wakeboard boat up to Lake Powell last week and I saw coolant temperatures of 258 degrees and went into limp mode a few times. My truck was tuned stock. I believe it just needs more airflow and am thinking of cutting a big hole in the skidplate, and perhaps opening up the grille by taking out the honeycomb like the GT500's. Was wondering if anyone has any experience, or advice to get the coolant temps down. I know Full Race has a bigger radiator that will drop in. What about an oil cooler? Thx

before you go breaking out the sawzall, why not just swap to a cooler thermostat?

Alsom if you are running a FR IC and an add pro bumper, the IC is nowhere near your skid plate. What good would hacking the skidplate do?

Furthermore, taking out the "honeycomb" on a raptor grill will get you no tangible increase in airflow.

OP
OP
roostinyfz

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before you go breaking out the sawzall, why not just swap to a cooler thermostat?

Alsom if you are running a FR IC and an add pro bumper, the IC is nowhere near your skid plate. What good would hacking the skidplate do?

Furthermore, taking out the "honeycomb" on a raptor grill will get you no tangible increase in airflow.

A cooler thermostat does not increase the vehicles cooling ability. It simply lowers the temperature at which the coolant mixes with warmer temps inside the engine. It would not increase cooling performance. It would still overheat.

I know the skidplate is not really close to the radiator, but the top of the skidplate does land about at the bottom of the radiator, and with 3 lightbars plugging up the area where air could flow along with the intercooler above the skidplate, the radiator really is not getting much air at all. I figured by putting a large hole in the skidplate with wire mesh for protection, could only help cool some? I am going to take the skidplate off to test this.

I also do believe removing all the honeycomb and perhaps cutting Ford out like the Z28's flow tie it would actually increase air flow. Thought it would look cool to see the radiator and small lightbars behind the grille. Plus it would allow more light to be emitted from the lightbar.

BTW, My truck did not overheat last summer without the intercooler.

OP
OP
roostinyfz

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes small one inch ones from M&R. Plus a bigger one right above the bumper where add made space for it and that would be great for air flow.

OP
OP
roostinyfz

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3EC9180D-857E-4B86-918A-15A855B1E25C_zpscppknu5a.jpg"]3EC9180D-857E-4B86-918A-15A855B1E25C_zpscppknu5a.jpg[/URL]I use my light bars every single day and love them. They are the tiny ones like 1” tall. It’s funny to say bail the lightbar which is in front of the intercooler literally making no heat at all but all while intercooler blocks the radiator and blocks most the radiator producing heat adjacent to it and it is not a problem.
I’ll get a picture posted up.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

5F4D83E9-3F53-45A8-BE06-BC3F9C3276F5_zpstn6bnquo.jpg"]5F4D83E9-3F53-45A8-BE06-BC3F9C3276F5_zpstn6bnquo.jpg[/URL]

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

8219FC7F-CD80-493B-9E11-40ABFC6E37AF_zpspipiq0ko.png"]8219FC7F-CD80-493B-9E11-40ABFC6E37AF_zpspipiq0ko.png[/URL]

The truck worked really good at the dunes too!

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

AFF60BA4-E616-422F-B511-04D67CC03730_zpsw1knthg6.png"]AFF60BA4-E616-422F-B511-04D67CC03730_zpsw1knthg6.png[/URL]

Truck never overheated at the dunes either even with the 91 tune

Last edited:

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a full race i/c no issues , weird you should have enough air flow . I would try to remove the lights before hacking up the skid plate and the honeycomb