Overheated the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Don't be using the a/c when towing and going up steep hills like that, you're lucky you didn't puke out tranny fluid as well. That's one good way to set your truck on fire. Most steep hills have signs that say to turn off a/c when going up long hills while towing. Sorry, but this is very basic knowledge

WHY are we just now, in the year 2022 hearing of these Jen Juan limitations? FRF lore from the 2017 era was... quite different.

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the OP using tow/haul setting? That would keep it in a lower gear longer. I must of missed that his truck is super charged.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wonder if moving the supercharger heat exchanger to the bed would help? As in how much does it reduce the air flow to the stock rad? More fluid volume for the HE as well. Whatever pump may not like the addition hose length though.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to turning off the air conditioning you can open all the windows and turn on the heater. A little mini-radiator that can give you just the edge you might need sometime.......

cole925

Reaction score
GEN1 Raptors will tow, but they don't like to tow big/heavy loads. I used my Raptor to move my household 2,000 miles from northern Alabama to northern Nevada. It towed the two smaller U-Haul trailers just fine, but it absolutely did not like the large tandem axel trailer. The fuel economy was so poor towing the big trailer that I thought there was something wrong with the truck, and that was a LOT less than a 26 foot trailer and a truck bed full of gear.
Just curious how big a tandem axle trailer you towed. I am looking at an aluminum 7X14 weighs 1800lbs dry. plan on 1000 lbs of load. Think that may be too much?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious how big a tandem axle trailer you towed. I am looking at an aluminum 7X14 weighs 1800lbs dry. plan on 1000 lbs of load. Think that may be too much?
This is what I towed that the GEN1 Raptor didn't like:

I towed the 4x8 and 5x8 trailers just fine, but my experience with the 6x12 trailer convinced me that it was too much even though all I had in it was household stuff. The U-Haul specs say their 6x12 trailer weighs 1,920 lbs empty. I think you would have trouble with the 7x14 trailer that you are contemplating unless you have a tow package installed on your Raptor.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My tandem travel trailer is 4000 lbs and I've loaded my box full of Quads, dirt bike and gear without issue. The only issue I had was when I had the tanks full of water, etc. I always towed the trailer empty of water except for an emergency supply of water to run the toilet, lol. You have to drive/tow with some talent and not try to keep up with the speed limit going up or down steep hills. On the straight stretches of highway, you wont even know its behind you, doing 70 mph with a properly set up equalizer hitch. I've travelled for years with this set up without ever having an "oh shiit" moment. DON'T BE IN A HURRY WHEN TOWING!!