Overheated the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Blu Bug

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I would have replaced the radiator cap immediately. Inexpensive first attempt at symptoms.
I would have replaced it immediately once I put two and two together but they haven't opened an auto parts store in Middlegate Nevada yet much less a Ford dealership.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Update: Took truck to local shop I trust and radiator cap was determined to be bad. Opened at 5psi instead of 20psi as designed. They put a Stant cap on it which I am replacing with online oem purchase.
It's always best to start with the simple things first before diving into the hard expensive stuff! As I've always said when troubleshooting start with A and work your way to Z if needed.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left just before noon to head to Nevada desert around Fallon pulling my fully loaded 26 ft. travel trailer and max cargo in the truck. Got almost up first big grade in sierras doing 654mph and truck quit running right and went into what I presume was limp mode. The coolant reservoir was bubbling. I let the truck cool down and unhookded the battery for thirty minutes and came back home. I hook my scan tool up and it showed no codes. Could old coolant cause this or did I just push it too hard.
I found a simple solution to avoid overheating while towing a 23ft airstream from CA to Montana. Don't let it shift past the 7th gear. If you're going uphill, shift down to 5th or 6th and leave it there. I overheated on the way to Montana when I let the tow mode determine the gears, then did the downshifting on the way back and had no issues even going uphill for extended periods.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a simple solution to avoid overheating while towing a 23ft airstream from CA to Montana. Don't let it shift past the 7th gear. If you're going uphill, shift down to 5th or 6th and leave it there. I overheated on the way to Montana when I let the tow mode determine the gears, then did the downshifting on the way back and had no issues even going uphill for extended periods.
Interesting since Gen 1's have a 6 gear transmission.

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from my desert excursion. Raptor cleared the Sierras fully loaded (approx. 800 lb under max rated weight.) Running at night with the a/c off and never reving over 3k did the trick. Never got over 1/2 way on the dash temp gauge. First off-road run was a short one and coolant boiled out when I stopped to enjoy the scenery. Long story short, after several trial and error test truck never overheated until I shut it off. Could it be the radiator cap?
I replace the cap every 20k or one year.