Overheated the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Blu Bug

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when you open the hood when its overflowing, is the overflow tank at the "high" mark or at the "cold" mark still? Make sure that tube on the outlet of the rad going into the overflow tank is clear and not plugged. If the tank isn't cycling fluid then it's most likely the rad cap.
The overflow tank is full and bubbling out out the the holes in the cap.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could head gasket leak cause over pressurization? But I guess that wouldn’t explain the temp reading, or would it?

OP
OP
Blu Bug

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have too much fluid in it then. When the truck is cold, is the level on the cold mark? Otherwise you might have another issue as well.
Fluid level is within cold range markings on the reservoir when it's cold. Stays pretty close to that level even after driving it for a while unless I turn it off.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Have no idea what the maintenance history or usage of the truck prior to my ownership so a clog wouldn't be ruled out.
I would definitely try a new radiator cap! The cap is rated for a certain PSI of pressure which keeps the coolant from boiling and pushing passed the cap to the reservoir, if the cap is old with a weak spring and or bad gasket it will cause what sounds like your problem. "The radiator cap acts as a release valve set to open at the maximum pressure point. Usually this is set at a density of 15 pounds per square inch (psi). When the fluid pressure inside the radiator exceeds 15 psi, it forces the valve open, allowing heat to escape and excess coolant fluid to overflow into the tanks on either side of the radiator."

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely try a new radiator cap! The cap is rated for a certain PSI of pressure which keeps the coolant from boiling and pushing passed the cap to the reservoir, if the cap is old with a weak spring and or bad gasket it will cause what sounds like your problem. "The radiator cap acts as a release valve set to open at the maximum pressure point. Usually this is set at a density of 15 pounds per square inch (psi). When the fluid pressure inside the radiator exceeds 15 psi, it forces the valve open, allowing heat to escape and excess coolant fluid to overflow into the tanks on either side of the radiator."
I agree. I would have replaced the radiator cap immediately. Inexpensive first attempt at symptoms.