Overheated the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^ @CoronaRaptor , I can't reconcile your experience with my own. What brand of magic do you use?
Well, most importantly is to have the equalizer hitch set up properly, I will say, there should be a course given on how to do this set up properly. I see so many trucks towing trailers and the rear end of the truck is dragging on the ground or the complete opposite, it's too high in the air along with the front of the trailer. The trick is to hook up your trailer on the ball first and not hook up the bars yet, then you jack the trailer up until the truck and trailer are even as possible. This is when you attach the chains using the chain bar for a really snug fit, then when you lower the jack back down (or crank it back up into the column) the trailer and truck stay level, this allows for far greater maneuverability of the truck and trailer without it swaying back and forth. It's hard to do with a uhaul trailer as they don't come with those hitches, so best to keep the heaviest load over the axles of the trailer and not at the rear or the front, that's when big problems happen.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow this 6,000 pound 1942 WWII carbon arc searchlight with no issues...except for cross-winds in Nebraska.

IMG_9265.1.jpg

Just returned yesterday from round trip for a motorcycle show in northern California towing an enclosed trailer with three motorcycles totaling about 3,000 pounds over the highest pass on I-5 (from Canada to Mexico) with no issues. OAT's were not hot though.

IMG-1827-2.jpg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow this 6,000 pound 1942 WWII carbon arc searchlight with no issues...except for cross-winds in Nebraska.

View attachment 356774

Just returned yesterday from round trip for a motorcycle show in northern California towing an enclosed trailer with three motorcycles totaling about 3,000 pounds over the highest pass on I-5 (from Canada to Mexico) with no issues. OAT's were not hot though.

View attachment 356775
you should mount that light on the front grill........ put everyone to shame with it. be able to see for miles.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score

View attachment 356774

View attachment 356775
What in the heck do you use that WWII search light for? Spotting deer? Frying cats at 100 yards?

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What in the heck do you use that WWII search light for? Spotting deer? Frying cats at 100 yards?
Event enhancement, ie theatre openings, conventions, state/county fairs, city celebrations, rodeos, night clubs, concerts, etc...or just lighting up the moon.

OP
OP
Blu Bug

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from my desert excursion. Raptor cleared the Sierras fully loaded (approx. 800 lb under max rated weight.) Running at night with the a/c off and never reving over 3k did the trick. Never got over 1/2 way on the dash temp gauge. First off-road run was a short one and coolant boiled out when I stopped to enjoy the scenery. Long story short, after several trial and error test truck never overheated until I shut it off. Could it be the radiator cap?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got back from my desert excursion. Raptor cleared the Sierras fully loaded (approx. 800 lb under max rated weight.) Running at night with the a/c off and never reving over 3k did the trick. Never got over 1/2 way on the dash temp gauge. First off-road run was a short one and coolant boiled out when I stopped to enjoy the scenery. Long story short, after several trial and error test truck never overheated until I shut it off. Could it be the radiator cap?
So when you open the hood when its overflowing, is the overflow tank at the "high" mark or at the "cold" mark still? Make sure that tube on the outlet of the rad going into the overflow tank is clear and not plugged. If the tank isn't cycling fluid then it's most likely the rad cap.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 356774

View attachment 356775
You up past Mt Shasta?