Overheated the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left just before noon to head to Nevada desert around Fallon pulling my fully loaded 26 ft. travel trailer and max cargo in the truck. Got almost up first big grade in sierras doing 654mph and truck quit running right and went into what I presume was limp mode. The coolant reservoir was bubbling. I let the truck cool down and unhookded the battery for thirty minutes and came back home. I hook my scan tool up and it showed no codes. Could old coolant cause this or did I just push it too hard.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had the same issue towing my trailer with quads going uphill too, also when i was driving in the mountains lets say, a little aggressively...... turned out i had a small pinhole leak in my radiator. if your reservoir is full, then you might not have a leak, but check yor fans and make sure they are on and kick on high speed when the temp gets hot. that was another one of my problems, fans were on but didnt go into high speed. however is still have an issue with overheating due to my driving habits

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't be using the a/c when towing and going up steep hills like that, you're lucky you didn't puke out tranny fluid as well. That's one good way to set your truck on fire. Most steep hills have signs that say to turn off a/c when going up long hills while towing. Sorry, but this is very basic knowledge. Is this your first time towing? You're probably over limit for your raptor with a 26' trailer, especially if its geared up and with fluids.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
GEN1 Raptors will tow, but they don't like to tow big/heavy loads. I used my Raptor to move my household 2,000 miles from northern Alabama to northern Nevada. It towed the two smaller U-Haul trailers just fine, but it absolutely did not like the large tandem axel trailer. The fuel economy was so poor towing the big trailer that I thought there was something wrong with the truck, and that was a LOT less than a 26 foot trailer and a truck bed full of gear.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually it was more like 651 but still. On a serious note and with out the typo I was trying to stay around 60 to 70 and I'm being to think that was too much for the stock radiator.
The stock radiator is awesome in these trucks, you're overworking the drivetrain with what you are trying to do. Honestly, you should be watching your rpms and trying to stay around 3-3500 MAXIMUM going up hill, if you are down another gear and reving into the 4's you're being a goof, this isn't a 400hp sportscar on a track. I'm not slamming you specifically here, but just generally speaking, it's a heavy truck with big tires and you're towing a heavy load up a long hill, it's grade 9 physics. Just try to be more patient in the future and think about how your calfs would feel walking up 30 flights of stairs, they would be hot and sore, now add a 100 lb backpack and try that, no amount of water poured over you is going to take away the pain in your legs. Maybe a poor analogy, but trying to get a point across is all. Happy motoring.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock radiator is awesome in these trucks, you're overworking the drivetrain with what you are trying to do. Honestly, you should be watching your rpms and trying to stay around 3-3500 MAXIMUM going up hill, if you are down another gear and reving into the 4's you're being a goof, this isn't a 400hp sportscar on a track. I'm not slamming you specifically here, but just generally speaking, it's a heavy truck with big tires and you're towing a heavy load up a long hill, it's grade 9 physics. Just try to be more patient in the future and think about how your calfs would feel walking up 30 flights of stairs, they would be hot and sore, now add a 100 lb backpack and try that, no amount of water poured over you is going to take away the pain in your legs. Maybe a poor analogy, but trying to get a point across is all. Happy motoring.
No, that's a very apt analogy!

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Don't be using the a/c when towing and going up steep hills like that, you're lucky you didn't puke out tranny fluid as well. That's one good way to set your truck on fire. Most steep hills have signs that say to turn off a/c when going up long hills while towing. Sorry, but this is very basic knowledge. Is this your first time towing? You're probably over limit for your raptor with a 26' trailer, especially if its geared up and with fluids.
Never seen or heard of that. I also dont tow anything heavier than a riding mower and the other small lawn equipment

Edit: also hardly ever use the ac here LOL