Overcharged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So if the dealer takes 2 hrs to swap out the radiator instead of the 6ish hrs in the system do you think they'll charge him for two? NOPE...I think it goes both ways. These inflated charges are the reason I stay away from the dealership for any type of service. Even if it's a recall id rather do it myself then run into a nightmare of having my truck damaged by a tech and the dealership not owning up to it. Again it goes both ways.
If the job takes 12 will you pay for 12? I have had this argument 100 times.

Let's say you want to build a house, you get a quote first right. You wouldn't hire a contractor and tell him just build me a house and find out the price after.

Flat rate/book times are based on average vehicle condition (rust back east makes things worse) and average mechanic ability.

If you do something 200 times wouldn't you get better each time? Would you like to get penalized each time for getting better?

Pretty much then first to fifth time you do a job you are loosing..

For the most part mechanics rarely get raises. They make more $$$ by becoming more efficient.

Next , I didn't say you HAD to go to dealership. Quite the opposite. I encourage anyone to do their own repairs if so inclined. And again ask questions and if I can help I will. He'll I have in the past on my own free time send copies of pages from the service manual to people. The point of DYI is to actually do it yourself. All of it. You will be smarter and better off with the knowledge.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Labor time on the radiator is 6ish hrs. It isn't your 1997 f350 that you can change in 30 minutes.

I have no issue with DYI, and I will help out anyway I can.

But do you go to home depot buy a water heater and then call a plumber and ask how to replace it?

Us mechanics/technicians are treated unlike any other profession.

If you choose to DYI then do it yourself, which includes coming here and asking questions, youtube what ever you can do to figure it out and repair it. But don't waste a professionals time. Buy the tools you need (even if you will never use them again).

Calling a plumber to your house to figure out a problem with the intention of never having him fix it in the first place, so that you can fix it yourself, boarders on fraud if you ask me.

No one likes it when they get "used" but seems very few have issue with "using" someone.

Sorry but humanity, morals and honor have went down the toilet.

You obviously have never worked in health care. When I was an auto technician, I would always get phone calls from people or family asking to diagnose something over the phone. Same goes with any of the trades.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the job takes 12 will you pay for 12? I have had this argument 100 times.

Let's say you want to build a house, you get a quote first right. You wouldn't hire a contractor and tell him just build me a house and find out the price after.

Flat rate/book times are based on average vehicle condition (rust back east makes things worse) and average mechanic ability.

If you do something 200 times wouldn't you get better each time? Would you like to get penalized each time for getting better?

Pretty much then first to fifth time you do a job you are loosing..

For the most part mechanics rarely get raises. They make more $$$ by becoming more efficient.

Next , I didn't say you HAD to go to dealership. Quite the opposite. I encourage anyone to do their own repairs if so inclined. And again ask questions and if I can help I will. He'll I have in the past on my own free time send copies of pages from the service manual to people. The point of DYI is to actually do it yourself. All of it. You will be smarter and better off with the knowledge.
IF it's going to take more time then I would expect a call to discuss why and proceed from there.
Just like a building a house. If prices change for X needed to build a house during the build that's usually written in the contact that you a subject to pay for those changes. If a contractor doesnt have that stipulation in the contract then it's on him to discuss with the buyer. If contractor finds a bunch of Joe Schmoe's to build the house @ $15hr instead of skilled workers @ $50hr does said homeowner get money back? NOPE
Who is being penalized? You're getting it done in less time. Sounds like the car owner is paying the price for you being quicker then the "book time".
So you're saying mechanics make more money by taking advantage of their customers and charging them more than what should be charged based on the actual time spent on the job?
I never stated you said I had to go to a dealer. I just said ..."These inflated charges are the reason I stay away from the dealership"

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If Sounds like the car owner is paying the price for you being quicker then the "book time".
So you're saying mechanics make more money by taking advantage of their customers and charging them more than what should be charged based on the actual time spent on the job?
I never stated you said I had to go to a dealer. I just said ..."These inflated charges are the reason I stay away from the dealership"
Unlike other trades, flat rate is based on the specific vehicle being serviced. It’s calculated by averaging actual repair completion times, not a generic R&I type quote like what you’ll get from a plumber, roofer, contractor, etc. Warranty times tend to be on lean side, while retail times tend to be more realistic. On older vehicles, a tech/shop is only one rusted fastener or brittle plastic connector away from losing on the job vs. breaking even.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You obviously have never worked in health care. When I was an auto technician, I would always get phone calls from people or family asking to diagnose something over the phone. Same goes with any of the trades.
Family and friends I expect, not total strangers. Trust me it happens more than you know.

I used to compete in a monthly pistol competition. One person asked what I did and I ****** up and told him. Over the course of about 3 months everyone knew. I quit going. For 2 years it was my escape, but the constant questions just ruined it for me. Mind you it was some what rare to shoot with the same people month to month. So not really friends, no one I would hang out with outside the shooting range. People know no boundaries!!! All on me though.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wife has A 2019 Acura MDX, had some temp warnings, realized it was losing coolant @ very slow pace somewhere, turned out to be a pinhole leak in rad (same BS cheap china made skinny Al rad all cars use these days I’m sure) $230 part + coolant, Acura wanted $1500

I had Acura tech top
It off w/ coolant (free- which was nice lol) & got it done for $648 @ my local trusted private shop

Not all Dealers service dept’s are equal….some are good, most are awful & wanna overcharge & bill ya for crap you don’t need

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
IF it's going to take more time then I would expect a call to discuss why and proceed from there.
Just like a building a house. If prices change for X needed to build a house during the build that's usually written in the contact that you a subject to pay for those changes. If a contractor doesnt have that stipulation in the contract then it's on him to discuss with the buyer. If contractor finds a bunch of Joe Schmoe's to build the house @ $15hr instead of skilled workers @ $50hr does said homeowner get money back? NOPE
Who is being penalized? You're getting it done in less time. Sounds like the car owner is paying the price for you being quicker then the "book time".
I am sure the construction contract does not dictate what the builder is gonna pay his guys hourly. It's the final product that counts. A builder turning out shit houses will not stay in business and will get continually dinged on inspections. It's the builders job to do the LEAST amount of work and produce the product as promised. Same with changing a radiator.

I want the mechanic working on my car that can crank out an 8 hour job in 4 hours. Not one that takes 8 hours on an 8 hour job.

I am in a pretty litigious line of work, my motto is "do the least amount of work without getting sued." That also means making the customer happy because you can sued for anything by anybody. lol.

Now would I personally pay $2000 for a radiator and a belt? Nope. But if that's what the book says, I am sure it happens thousands of times a day. If I couldn't do it myself, I would pay it though.

What's worse is paying an HVAC guy 10g's to install 5g's worth of equipment in a day. Yup.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will just get the work done. I am calling around for second opinions on cost. I do have a buddy who is a lead service tech at another Ford dealer. Perhaps that will assist me well.

I was just baffled at the labor cost. I did my own intercooler and etc, but dang, I can see 4 hours.