Overcharged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Folks,

Went in for coolant leak and squeak in the AM. Diag said I need new radiator and serp belt.

Somehow that equated to $1950. I am seeing the parts on rockauto for under 300, so the labor is 1600 dollars? Someone help me make sense of this.

Don

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Assuming you did not get the service done? I would ask for an itemized invoice.
Right. I elected to not spent 2 grand on a radiator and a rubber belt.

I honestly need to throw more into it. I want to do the entire cooling system and suspension before spring. So this was a shock.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Dealer part prices are higher than Rock Auto. And most labor rates are over $200 an hour now. Definitely ask for a cost brake down.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am sure I can do it myself....

I want to know how long I have on that system. But I may consult a friend that has built vehicles from the ground up and is a shop foreman at AUDI. Because like I had mentioned, I want to do more than just the radiator and belt :)

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Labor time on the radiator is 6ish hrs. It isn't your 1997 f350 that you can change in 30 minutes.

I have no issue with DYI, and I will help out anyway I can.

But do you go to home depot buy a water heater and then call a plumber and ask how to replace it?

Us mechanics/technicians are treated unlike any other profession.

If you choose to DYI then do it yourself, which includes coming here and asking questions, youtube what ever you can do to figure it out and repair it. But don't waste a professionals time. Buy the tools you need (even if you will never use them again).

Calling a plumber to your house to figure out a problem with the intention of never having him fix it in the first place, so that you can fix it yourself, boarders on fraud if you ask me.

No one likes it when they get "used" but seems very few have issue with "using" someone.

Sorry but humanity, morals and honor have went down the toilet.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Labor time on the radiator is 6ish hrs. It isn't your 1997 f350 that you can change in 30 minutes.

I have no issue with DYI, and I will help out anyway I can.

But do you go to home depot buy a water heater and then call a plumber and ask how to replace it?

Us mechanics/technicians are treated unlike any other profession.

If you choose to DYI then do it yourself, which includes coming here and asking questions, youtube what ever you can do to figure it out and repair it. But don't waste a professionals time. Buy the tools you need (even if you will never use them again).

Calling a plumber to your house to figure out a problem with the intention of never having him fix it in the first place, so that you can fix it yourself, boarders on fraud if you ask me.

No one likes it when they get "used" but seems very few have issue with "using" someone.

Sorry but humanity, morals and honor have went down the toilet.
So if the dealer takes 2 hrs to swap out the radiator instead of the 6ish hrs in the system do you think they'll charge him for two? NOPE...I think it goes both ways. These inflated charges are the reason I stay away from the dealership for any type of service. Even if it's a recall id rather do it myself then run into a nightmare of having my truck damaged by a tech and the dealership not owning up to it. Again it goes both ways.