Over torqued upper control arm ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Csaucier

Reaction score
I was swapping out my shocks last night and way over torqued the upper control arm ball joint when attempting to disconnect. Somehow I was a complete idiot and continued to tighten, at least a good 3 turns.

The ball joint appears fine, my concern is the steering knuckle. There is no visible damage but I figured it is wise to ask around and see what you folks thought about this. Safe, err no?

D

Deleted member 12951

Undo it, check the threads and nut (I would replace the nut) and put it back on and torque it correctly. Use blue loctite

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That had always scared me too..im afraid of spreading the tapered hole to big and causing damage..the ball joint is tapered so it has like a wood splitting affect to the aluminum steering spindle..always worried about it..want to do aftermarket suspension asap with fabricated steel spindle..might sleep better!! Lol

OP
OP
C

Csaucier

Reaction score
Yes, upgrading that steering knuckle and the upper control arms is now the plan. It went back together fine, but a few more threads visible in that side so something spread...