Over-torqued ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I over-torqued the ball joint nut on the tie rod end. I put a flex handle on it and it was on there tight. So I put some muscle into it. Got probably 1/2 to a full turn on it and it became harder. Well wouldn’t you know it I was indeed tightening it, long day.......... spun it the other way and it came right off.

Would you imaging the knuckle would crack or the ball joint yield first? I know that it is “likely” fine but I tend to worry about stuff like this and figured what better place to ask for opinions then here.

I looked for damage to the threads on the ball joint, looked and didn’t “see” any cracking on the knuckle. Anything else I should look for?

I hope I didn’t do any real damage as even though I like SDHQ’s reinforced knuckles I don’t think I am ready for them.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 12951

I have over tighten the OEM tie rod nut and it snapped off a LOT sooner than ever cracking the hole on the knuckle. Had to replace the tie rod.

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!! I am going to do mid perch on Saturday so I will get another chance to inspect the ball joint again.