Out of Warrantee Cam Phaser Repair cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roverrich

Reaction score
Hi folks, just a quick question of what people have seen to be a repair cost for out of warranty cam phaser repair?

I have a 2017 Raptor with 60,500mi. I had no idea that the cold start in am was anything more than what the Raptor sounds like on first start. Had no issues with truck and had routine scheduled maintenance. Well last week my CEL went on and I took to the dealership and was told my Variable Timing Solenoid went bad, was quoted a $130 diagnostic "code reading" fee and a total repair of $800+ Dollars. I did some research for the "estimated" cost online and complained and ended up paying $580.

Less than 1 week later, the CEL comes back on and now I'm told the Phaser is bad and it is another $1200 to fix. Are these numbers in line with what you folks have seen? It also upsets me since I never knew there were known problems with this item and should have complained months ago when car was still under warranty... Thanks.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
#1 ....autozone will read your codes for free....as well as any number of $20 bluetooth iPhone gizmos. Invest in one of those to avoid the $130 charges in the future.

$1,200 seems to be about right. In fact seems a little cheap knowing what all has to happen to get the work done (cab off the frame). It is like an 8+ hour job @ $135 an hour.....the math works out to be much more then $1,200 with parts.

Are they giving you "credit" for the earlier work that dint correct the issue?

OP
OP
R

Roverrich

Reaction score
Thanks folks. I do have a OBDII reader, but don't have time (kids and work). So $130 is the going rate to have codes read at other dealerships? If $1200 is about right, then so be it.

I am miffed as the truck has been to dealership many times and no one ever said anything about the startup sound. My noise wasn't nearly as loud as the ones I saw on the internet, but it was there. Thanks.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks folks. I do have a OBDII reader, but don't have time (kids and work). So $130 is the going rate to have codes read at other dealerships? If $1200 is about right, then so be it.

I am miffed as the truck has been to dealership many times and no one ever said anything about the startup sound. My noise wasn't nearly as loud as the ones I saw on the internet, but it was there. Thanks.
Dealers are not alllowed to “sell” warranty. Therefore, if a concern is noticed that is unrelated to the customer’s original concern and it’s not a safety issue, the dealer cannot add it to the RO.

If you are describing a rattle/clatter type noise that only occurs on a cold startup and lasts 2-5 seconds, there is a TSB (21-2119) to replace the camshaft VCT units (phasers) with updated parts. Ford has also stated that they are issuing a warranty extension, which has already been released for standard F-150. The bulletin for the standard F-150 indicates that a bulletin for Raptor/Limited is in the works. Once it’s released you should get a letter in the mail with details.

OP
OP
R

Roverrich

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the reply @FordTechOne ! I’ll send this to the dealer and see what he says. I assume I should wait till letter goes out and save the $$$ to repair now!

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check Flood Ford ESP. You might be able to still get a Ford warranty. My friend got one for his F250 past his factory warranty…

Darryl

Reaction score
Hi folks, just a quick question of what people have seen to be a repair cost for out of warranty cam phaser repair?

I have a 2017 Raptor with 60,500mi. I had no idea that the cold start in am was anything more than what the Raptor sounds like on first start. Had no issues with truck and had routine scheduled maintenance. Well last week my CEL went on and I took to the dealership and was told my Variable Timing Solenoid went bad, was quoted a $130 diagnostic "code reading" fee and a total repair of $800+ Dollars. I did some research for the "estimated" cost online and complained and ended up paying $580.

Less than 1 week later, the CEL comes back on and now I'm told the Phaser is bad and it is another $1200 to fix. Are these numbers in line with what you folks have seen? It also upsets me since I never knew there were known problems with this item and should have complained months ago when car was still under warranty... Thanks.
My cam phasers had to be replaced twice. I have a 2019 Raptor. Mine were done under warranty. I started to think and wondered what will happen when the warranty expires. I got the number for Ford at my dealer and called them. I’ve owned three Raptors and told them I would never buy another one if they didn’t address this. They gave me a 75,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Hope this helps.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealers are not alllowed to “sell” warranty. Therefore, if a concern is noticed that is unrelated to the customer’s original concern and it’s not a safety issue, the dealer cannot add it to the RO.

If you are describing a rattle/clatter type noise that only occurs on a cold startup and lasts 2-5 seconds, there is a TSB (21-2119) to replace the camshaft VCT units (phasers) with updated parts. Ford has also stated that they are issuing a warranty extension, which has already been released for standard F-150. The bulletin for the standard F-150 indicates that a bulletin for Raptor/Limited is in the works. Once it’s released you should get a letter in the mail with details.

Hmm, I have pretty much always had this. Is this free even if out of warranty cause it is a tsb?