Out of the business unfortunately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Desert Dan

Reaction score
Well guys I hate to report that after everything that has happened this year(watching my truck being built, recieving my ford raptor on October 1, 2021, and learning so much in the Ford business through my training and opportunities; I have resigned my roles as a Ford technician yesterday November 24, 2021. I am moving on to other avenues and paths. I appreciate all your guys support and posts regarding these new trucks. I will still be willing to help anyone I can with any knowledge I've learned, but my technical abilities will be limited as I no longer will have access to publications. I want to thank Ford personally for everything I've had the opportunity to gain and learn over these.last 8 years but it's unfortunately time to move on. I wish you all the best of luck in your new trucks and experiences. Your always welcome to reach out to me for.anything or ask for.my contact info! Have a great Thanksgiving
Best wishes!! I spent 36 years in the automotive industry. It is broken and needs to be fixed, GM's and SM's need to realize who the the technician really is......BACKBONE OF THE STORE!! I finally got out of the service side and found a career with Snap-on Tools. Loving it so far. I actually have a work/life balance now. Good luck to you sir.

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best wishes!! I spent 36 years in the automotive industry. It is broken and needs to be fixed, GM's and SM's need to realize who the the technician really is......BACKBONE OF THE STORE!! I finally got out of the service side and found a career with Snap-on Tools. Loving it so far. I actually have a work/life balance now. Good luck to you sir.
Thank you. It has declined and it's sad to say it's not every dealership here but it's a majority. I've got other plans and I'll see how I like them this Thursday. Good luck to you sir

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. Most dealers treat techs horribly, as if they're disposable and easily replaced. How long can a person get abused by a broken system and put up with it? We're seeing it now, they're leaving the industry and taking their experience and knowledge with them. It's ridiculous to expect an employee to invest $100K in tools when they're not even a contractor; I'm not aware of any other industry where that is a norm. And then to top it off, they hold technicians pay to the warranty flat rate time regardless of the unique challenges at each dealer. Tech has to dig the car out of a snow bank and the shop internet is 56K dialup? Sorry, Ford only pays 0.4 for that software update TSB, too bad about your luck. Curse Ford out, not us. Meanwhile the GM is making a massive salary and the Dealer Principal owns a helicopter. They exploit their employees and then wonder why they can't keep good help and have high turnover. Upper management/ownership get rich at the expense of employees and customers.

I'm guessing as an SM they had the typical BS pay plan that shop equipment comes out your pay? That is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. As an SM you want to have the latest and greatest equipment in the shop to maximize productivity, repair capability, safety, customer satisfaction, warranty compliance, and efficiency. Why should the person responsible for managing the shop have to pay for it out of their own pocket? Oh that's right, the DP needs money to buy fuel for his helicopter.

Olsen Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Most dealers treat techs horribly, as if they're disposable and easily replaced. How long can a person get abused by a broken system and put up with it? We're seeing it now, they're leaving the industry and taking their experience and knowledge with them. It's ridiculous to expect an employee to invest $100K in tools when they're not even a contractor; I'm not aware of any other industry where that is a norm. And then to top it off, they hold technicians pay to the warranty flat rate time regardless of the unique challenges at each dealer. Tech has to dig the car out of a snow bank and the shop internet is 56K dialup? Sorry, Ford only pays 0.4 for that software update TSB, too bad about your luck. Curse Ford out, not us. Meanwhile the GM is making a massive salary and the Dealer Principal owns a helicopter. They exploit their employees and then wonder why they can't keep good help and have high turnover. Upper management/ownership get rich at the expense of employees and customers.

I'm guessing as an SM they had the typical BS pay plan that shop equipment comes out your pay? That is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. As an SM you want to have the latest and greatest equipment in the shop to maximize productivity, repair capability, safety, customer satisfaction, warranty compliance, and efficiency. Why should the person responsible for managing the shop have to pay for it out of their own pocket? Oh that's right, the DP needs money to buy fuel for his helicopter.
That’s crazy.

My business I provide tools. Every tech gets an epic cart filled with what they need. I also pay union wage and provide health care that we pay 100% for as well as 401k.

But I still can’t find enough help. It’s crazy out here

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You could not have said it better. I'll pm you more details, sorry been real busy lately.

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s crazy.

My business I provide tools. Every tech gets an epic cart filled with what they need. I also pay union wage and provide health care that we pay 100% for as well as 401k.

But I still can’t find enough help. It’s crazy out here
Sign me up......provided tools wait what!!!! I'll move to Florida stat LOL.

STiago1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a ford tech I worked for 2 dealers as flat rate. These days (since the covid) flat rate means you can't put food on the table. I now work in used cars inspect & repair I enjoy my work now more than doing warranty work and trying to beat the clock or stand around waiting for a pcm reprogram that pays 0.3