Out of State (Texas) Purchases

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swanny

Reaction score
If anyone knows this, or if in Texas has been through this, I would appreciate a little insight.

I have googled the hell out of it and am trying to make sure I understand it. I won't pay taxes in the state where it is purchased. Once I get it here I will receive a lien type title which will allow me to register it and then pay taxes in Texas.

Right?? :hmm:

Will I have to show the dealer paperwork? I know that is asking a lot from a group of guys that may not be from Texas... BUT on the off chance... Anyhow, any knowledge is helpful!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
you pay the sales tax in the state which you register it and you will need all paperwork to do so.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Bird said. If you buy a vehicle from out of state, you need the cash up front to pay your Texas State sales tax because you will not be able to finance that from an out of state dealership.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swanny, First off Welcome!!

I sell 98% of my trucks out of state, and do not collect taxes.
BUT I can collect sales tax for your state, if you need me to. (so they are included in your deal and Fin paperwork) Texas has 6.25% tax rate.

thanks randy

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, what Randy said....

I just bought mine from Randy in Missouri, purchased in OK, and will register and pay taxes in Texas. if you WANT to roll your taxes into a loan for example, get the out of state dealer to collect them and mail it in to your county, and all you will do it wait for your plates to come in the mail and have it inspected.

Otherwise (like myself), I'm waiting on the paperwork from Randy, once I get em I go down and register the truck in my name and write them a check for $3,000 for the tax on the purchase price, and license/register fee of about $100.

Choice is yours. I DO hear of dealers that INSIST on collecting your sales tax in another state for MSO/title reasons, but Randy may have a better answer to whether or not that is something that is mandatory.

OP
OP
Swanny

Swanny

Reaction score
On my paperwork it didn't have any, so I wasn't positive on it... Appreciate the feedback fellas!