Ouray Colorado Imogene pass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post!

My son and I did Imogene and Black Bear (and others) in my AEV JK350 in August. As stated above, Imogene is a bit narrow in a few places, but definitely doable in the Raptor. Even though this sign near the beginning of Imogene (coming from Ouray) recommends short wheel base, I'm planning to take my Raptor to Ouray next summer (I want to take Rap and jeep - first world problems).

MOmMT77.jpg

FrBQb7P.jpg

Black Bear would definitely be trickier in the Raptor. Doable, but the trail is very narrow in several places, and the last couple of switchbacks are pretty tight (definitely a 5-point turn in the Raptor). Here's a pic, taken from Imogene, showing the switchbacks on Black Bear and Bridal Veil Falls.

7BfzPOP.jpg

OP
OP
AndysLog

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
nice! yea we never had any issues where we were out driving. a couple of kinda sketchy narrow spots. i really really wanted to do black bear but we couldnt find anyone on the mountain while we were up there that was going down that way.

maybe ill take a SXS down it next time.

cool shots guys!
heres one of the wife and i at a neat scenic spot on the highway back to telluride from ouray. was amazing to watch the sunset over the mountains.
fvGlrl.jpg

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Alpine loop won't happen for me this season, but looking forward to giving the Raptor a real workout next summer. Tons of great 4x4 trails in Colorado but the size of the Raptor makes me nervous on unfamiliar trails. (coming from a dirt bike where I didn't give a second thought before trying)

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry in the Ouray, Silverton, Lake City area. The tour companies run bigger trucks than the Raptor all over those trails. Poughkipsee Gulch is the exception, only go when it is really dry or have a winch, anchor points are screwed into the stone LOL. Lots of rock crawling on the upper portion, I will pass on that one in my Raptor. Power Wagon ate the running boards on this one...

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
AndysLog

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry in the Ouray, Silverton, Lake City area. The tour companies run bigger trucks than the Raptor all over those trails. Poughkipsee Gulch is the exception, only go when it is really dry or have a winch, anchor points are screwed into the stone LOL. Lots of rock crawling on the upper portion, I will pass on that one in my Raptor. Power Wagon ate the running boards on this one...

i wish i knew where that was i would have liked to go out there. thats the only negative to not being local or knowing anyone, we just ran around and searched and did some internet looking. it would be nice to see the bad ass trails around there.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
https://traildamage.com/

Just found out they switched to membership but $12 a year isn't terrible. Totally worth it if you take even one trip a year to co or ut. The descriptions are thorough and pictures are plentiful so you have a great idea of what you are heading towards. Best part is they include GPS files that can be loaded into google maps. Now that you can cache map info it makes google maps quite a powerful tool even of you are off road and away from service. Especially when you throw mytracks into the mix.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Here is a sample of some of their maps... a lot of them even have waypoints and POIs along the way.

Attachments

• CO_Map.jpg
    CO_Map.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 61

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My dad is from Ouray, and I've been all over those mountains. Just not in a Raptor. Not yet anyway. My family is discussing a trip out next summer. Nice pics.

MAXTRAX

Reaction score
This fall the lower section of Engineer Pass from Hwy 550 to the base of the mtn is rough by any standard. I did it in my bosses worn out 4dr Tacoma on 31's while leading an older couple, she kept telling us how they were 60..., in her stock Jeep Sahara Unlimited(4dr). Looked like it was on 33's. We made it just fine, I am not worried about doing it in my scab.

I have also done it in a big '15 powerless wagon but that thing hits bottom all the time, needs 37s bad.

There are some tight switchbacks here and there but nothing that should hang you up at all.

Now next summer, who knows? Every few years the county guy gets wild with the dozer and it is a highway for a few years. Since the loop covers three counties at least, you never really can be sure what you will find.

Black Bear would be scary in a screw I would think, wide and long isn't a good combination on the last switchbacks. Normally I just drive down, look over the edge and go back the way I came. It isn't technically difficult but it is dangerous. I have done it maybe 5 times all the way into Telluride.

Small world, I'm also in Ridgway!