Other 800A Owners? My 800A+ Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after being on the forum for a while (and being a reader for much longer), it appears there's not a lot of 800A owners out there. So, I thought I'd say hey and share some of my projects in case others were interested in upgrading their 800As to get some of the options on the other packages.

SHORT RANT - WTH Ford?!? How do you not have keyless entry and push button start on your $50k+ vehicles?!?! I could list dozens of vehicles in the $20k segment, probably some cheaper, that have this basic feature. Only offering it on your highest end package is just a **** move. RANT OVER.

My story: With our family growing, it was time to say goodbye to my 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ (the long wheel base 2-door) and get an F-150. My dad sold fords, my first truck was a 97 Ranger, and I'm restoring a 69 Bronco - I'm a ford man at heart. I knew eventually I'd be getting a F-150 SCREW, but I kinda dreaded the day because everyone I know has one. I'm a fan of unique / fun vehicles - lifted Jeep Wrangler TJ I had some good off-road trips with, C6 Vette that was tracked on multiple occasions, Saab 9-3 Aero 6-spd manual was a blast of a daily driver, and the Wrangler LJ. Driving an F-150 like everyone else just seemed so boring. I knew I was going to enjoy it, but I wanted something more unique.

We priced out a new Lariat (we get X-plan pricing through my work) because my wife wanted leather for ease of cleaning with the kids. Well equipped it was mid-50's, so I started my search on how I can get a Raptor SCREW with leather for the same price. I wanted an 801A, but couldn't find one without all the appearance add ons that a dealer would sell without a mark-up. I couldn't stomach paying for some of the options, like $1900 for stickers or the CF package. I was able to find a couple 800As that the dealers would sell at no mark-up and did some searching and found out ways I could add some of the options I wanted - 8" Sync 3, leather, heated seats.

I was stoked because I've wanted a Raptor since they first came out, but it seemed like a pipe dream - they were just too expensive. But, once I got around to pricing out F-150s, I could have an 800A Raptor with some of the 801A and 802A options for under $60k, which somehow with the new truck pricing seems reasonable. My wife is amazing, saw how happy I was and said I should do what makes me happy. She was ok with spending the money on the Lariat, didn't really understand the appeal of the Raptor, but said if it's what I wanted, "go for it". She's amazing.

So, I worked with the same dealer we bought my wife's Explorer Sport from and I picked up my raptor $1500 under sticker. Not the best deal - my favorite way to buy is offer $500 over invoice firm and it's always worked, but I'll take it over the $10k markups.

My from the dealer build - 2018 800A SCREW Shadow Black, beadlock capable wheels, heated side mirrors with LED spot lights, LED box lighting, remote start. Dealer included add-ons - tint, wheel locks, tailgate lock, box link cleats.

So, here's what I've done so far:
- Line-X the bed and wheel wells
- Stubby antennae
- OEM Rubber bed mat

Here's my planned factory option upgrades:
- 8" Sync 3 Upgrade
- Heated factory seats using factory button
- Leather seats from new pull off
- 802A 8" Instrument Gauge
- Factory Kicker Sub

Other mods:
- exterior lighting - can't find one I'm in love with yet and don't want to fill the "fog light" holes - I love seeing the suspension components
- dual spare and cooler bed carrier - going to weld one together myself
- bead lock rings and 2 bead locked capable spares - need / want beadlock spares for TRR and other offroad trips
- Pedal Commander - after reading all your reviews, I've now painfully notice the throttle response delay

I have most of the parts for the factory option upgrades, I just need some time to get after it. I'll probably make some progress next week during the holidays. I have to do some custom harness work and FORScan for the 8" Sync upgrade, but shouldn't take more than a few hours to get it in. I want to make sure I have the heated seat elements working before I change out the upholstery, but I have the leather covers and they are flawless.

I thought I'd share because I think I'm in a pretty unique situation and there might be some other 800A owners that want to head down the route I'm going. With each upgrade, I plan on posting a detailed how-to on this thread and links to all the parts needed.

Also, I want to say, no disrespect to the 801A and 802A owners. I'm hoping for my next Raptor I can spring for the 802A (or equivalent), but with our family growing, I just couldn't justify the extra expense. For those that have theirs fully loaded - more power to you. For those that want to add some of the bells and whistles, hope this helps.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
800a doesn't have keyless entry?? I get that remote start is an option, but you can't even lock the doors with the key?

OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
800a doesn't have keyless entry?? I get that remote start is an option, but you can't even lock the doors with the key?

It has lock/unlock functions on the FOB. I'm talking about Ford's Intelligent Access, where you keep your fob in your pocket and sensors on the door along with a wireless transmitter lock and unlock the doors. I like walking up to a car, hopping in, and pushing start to go. My entry level 08 vette, which is the same MSRP as the Raptor, had this. My wife's old explorer sport and subaru outback have this. It should be standard on this price point.

MikeEby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread, good to see a DIY project like the one you're taking on. There are guys like Livinitup and BoostedGrayGoose on the F150 forum that have done exactly what you're doing but not with a Raptor. I'm sure you've been reading those threads, they are pretty interesting when you look at the level of detail they are going to.

Mike

whan

Reaction score
It has lock/unlock functions on the FOB. I'm talking about Ford's Intelligent Access, where you keep your fob in your pocket and sensors on the door along with a wireless transmitter lock and unlock the doors. I like walking up to a car, hopping in, and pushing start to go. My entry level 08 vette, which is the same MSRP as the Raptor, had this. My wife's old explorer sport and subaru outback have this. It should be standard on this price point.

Agreed, for whatever reason US spec vehicles tend to be behind on this feature. Was in Germany where I rented a track-prepped Suzuki Swift RS (probably a $15k car) at the Nurburgring and it had keyless go

Let us know how the gauge cluster swap goes - I've got an 801A on order and there were only a few 802A options I wished it came with (keyless go, power fold mirrors, 8" productivity screen, auto climate), but wasn't worth the $6k upgrade to me

OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 800! It was 55k....couldn’t pass it up. Didn’t care for all the extras. I’ll be following your progress!

Nice! Isn't it odd how $55k feels like a deal when you can get one for that much?!?

Extras is the right word too. Because at the end of the day, it's just as much a raptor as one $20k more.

Some of these upgrades are going to be really easy. It's kinda nice to do it a la carte after the fact for much less than the option cost. Its nuts some of the stuff these guys on the F-150 forum have done. Even adding the 360 camera system - that one looks ambitious!

Last edited:

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I could be wrong but I believe even 801a doesn't have keyless entry only 802a...

OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe even 801a doesn't have keyless entry only 802a...

You're right. Only 802A. Which is my annoyance. You shouldn't have to get the highest end trim to get a feature that budget brands in the teens and 20's include. Especially on a halo car like the Raptor.