Order 2023 or Used 2021 37PP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

screaminfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at trading or selling private my 18 Gen 2 and moving up to a Gen 3. It's mostly for getting the newer interior. I've been very happy with my Gen 2 (other than the transmission, which my local dealer took care of very well), so I was hemming and hawing about either building up my Gen 2 more or just moving to a Gen 3. Wanted to here some thoughts...

The two options I'm considering are ordering a 2023 (which my dealer said would change to 2024MY) w/ moonroof, carbon, 2.0k pro power for $82,670, or a dealer a few hours away has a 2021 37PP w/ moonroof, no carbon, powertech, torsen, convenience for asking $81,500 w/ 10K miles on it.

Ideally, if I can get $60-65K for my truck, I could get to that $15-20K and my truck to upgrade.

Thoughts?

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at trading or selling private my 18 Gen 2 and moving up to a Gen 3. It's mostly for getting the newer interior. I've been very happy with my Gen 2 (other than the transmission, which my local dealer took care of very well), so I was hemming and hawing about either building up my Gen 2 more or just moving to a Gen 3. Wanted to here some thoughts...

The two options I'm considering are ordering a 2023 (which my dealer said would change to 2024MY) w/ moonroof, carbon, 2.0k pro power for $82,670, or a dealer a few hours away has a 2021 37PP w/ moonroof, no carbon, powertech, torsen, convenience for asking $81,500 w/ 10K miles on it.

Ideally, if I can get $60-65K for my truck, I could get to that $15-20K and my truck to upgrade.

Thoughts?
I have a 21 37pp and love it. It has all the options with none deleted. I feel like the difference in price is pretty close though and if the 23 is a 37pp that may make the most sense. If the 23 is a 35 truck it would be a tough call purely for resale in the future being more for the 37pp. Hope you can get $60-65k for your 18. In my area 2018s with lower miles are bringing low 50s on the lot which tells me trade is high 40s. Interest rates are horrific right now, so cars aren't selling like they once were.

OP
OP
screaminfast

screaminfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 21 37pp and love it. It has all the options with none deleted. I feel like the difference in price is pretty close though and if the 23 is a 37pp that may make the most sense. If the 23 is a 35 truck it would be a tough call purely for resale in the future being more for the 37pp. Hope you can get $60-65k for your 18. In my area 2018s with lower miles are bringing low 50s on the lot which tells me trade is high 40s. Interest rates are horrific right now, so cars aren't selling like they once were.

The ordered one for $82,670 was without 37PP. It jacked the price up to ~$88K. The idea there is that I'd do my own 37's on 18's with a lift.

Trade in via KBB is saying 55-59K. I know mods don't usually mean much, but there is certainly $10K+ in aftermarket on the truck.

What size tires are on your 18?

35x12.50's. I think you've seen my blue truck. It's Adam from 4x4LED's old truck.

f9c2fb91-343c-43f7-a86c-fbdcaf8777ac-jpeg.378435

mts

Reaction score
2021 37PP. Available now, more options and there's no telling how long you will have to wait for that 2023/24 order.

OP
OP
screaminfast

screaminfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as I do some more reading on the Gen 3's, there seems to be a hangup for me mentally with no ability to do a tune, turbo upgrades, etc. I might actually be better off trying to swap in live valve shocks and dealing with the slightly smaller screen to gain the ability for horsepowers lol

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as I do some more reading on the Gen 3's, there seems to be a hangup for me mentally with no ability to do a tune, turbo upgrades, etc. I might actually be better off trying to swap in live valve shocks and dealing with the slightly smaller screen to gain the ability for horsepowers lol
Why can't you do a tune or upgrade turbo's if motor is exactly the same on Gen 2/3?

OP
OP
screaminfast

screaminfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't you do a tune or upgrade turbo's if motor is exactly the same on Gen 2/3?

Ok maybe I misspoke, but it looks like the MG1 PCM is locked from the factory for OBD tuning. It has to be sent into HP tuners to be unlocked in order to get flash tuned via a MPVI3. I thought I had read somewhere that Ford's factory software interacts with the PCM's differently on the newer trucks as well as far as sending info back to the factory if it's tuned or not. Not as simple as flashing back to stock before bringing the truck in for any warranty work I guess.

Probably similar to the unlocking of the DME I had to do on my BMW X6.

Last edited:

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok maybe I misspoke, but it looks like the MG1 PCM is locked from the factory for OBD tuning. It has to be sent into HP tuners to be unlocked in order to get flash tuned via a MPVI3. I thought I had read somewhere that Ford's factory software interacts with the PCM's differently on the newer trucks as well as far as sending info back to the factory if it's tuned or not. Not as simple as flashing back to stock before bringing the truck in for any warranty work I guess.
Gotcha, I recall reading about he PCM having to be sent to Cobb as well to be unlocked. Out of my realm, I was genuinely curious if there was something else that was preventing tunes etc but not informed at all.

OP
OP
screaminfast

screaminfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, I recall reading about he PCM having to be sent to Cobb as well to be unlocked. Out of my realm, I was genuinely curious if there was something else that was preventing tunes etc but not informed at all.

For sure, it doesn't seem that big of a deal after all. I wonder how much of my aftermarket stuff could be moved from my Gen 2 over to a newer Gen 3 before selling my Gen 2.